• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

I installed my NM front sight on my .308 Garand. That's nice...much better sight picture. Now I have a IHC front sight but no rifle for it..LOL..

Next?

0616F203-4375-4C1B-8957-8B61C04377CC.jpeg

This weekend I had a great encounter that I just have to relate. An acquaintance of a friend was looking to get into WW2 weapons, and specifically wanted a Garand. The only one I thought of selling is a Win-13. It's a mix-master, which was hard for this guy to understand. He wanted a "real war gun", "numbers matching" etc.

I let him see the rifle and pointed out the arsenal process and what a mix-master looks like, as opposed to a "numbers matching" war relic.

This guy looked it over then said, "Nope, I don't like the wood." Okay, I could've let it go after that but then I got the following "comments":

"I want a real world war two gun that saw combat, something with matching numbers, and clean, with nice looking wood, and a like new barrel" (that last one about the barrel might have been slightly misheard).

I smiled, then asked him where he thought such a rifle might have come from, and how much it would cost.

"Well, it'd have been a war trophy, a bring back gun some GI brought home in his duffle bag. I read about them..."

I asked again, if he had any idea how much such a gun might cost...

"I sure as hell ain't paying a thousand (Expletive) dollars for the damn thing!"

My smile turned to a chuckle, the chuckle to a laugh, and eventually I was afraid I was making a scene. I had tears coming down my face as I laughed. I couldn't help it. I was truly tickled.

I regained my composure and shook his hand and wished him luck. He didn't look angry, but definitely befuddled at what might have amused me.

My friend later called to ask what had happened. I told him his buddy needed to stop smoking something and go to the CMP to buy a CMP Special. It wouldn't be a war trophy, but it's look nice.

I had to share. I'm sure some others have experienced this sort of thing, and I know there are unicorns out there. But I found it hilarious.

Great Story. So many people have no idea what they are doing or what they are looking at. I just got a 403K SA earler this month. I have been verifying parts with corresponding #'s and most of that rifle is from WW2. But the stock and sights aint. I dont think I have ever seen a " straight from combat rifle" because of all the refurb programs and arsenal reworks.

Now the venerable MOSIN NAGANT- those have come into the country right from the Crate. I have seen some interesting examples.

Back
Top Bottom