• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HOW LONG DO YOU RUN TIRES ON A VEHICLE?

I think a lot of wrecks could be prevented if the general public looked at their tires every once in a while. Legal limit is 2/32nds, however your wet weather traction around 4/32nds takes a dive on most tires I have owned.

Which would be fine if these fine citizens would NOT drive in the rain with less than 4/32's or SLOW down. However that never enters their mind. Stopping distances are increased and we have more wrecks. (at least this is my theory)

Tires are the best they ever have been, so many good choices. So many tire stores (competition), don't drive on a set of bald tires. Don't drive too fast for your tires tread depth. Don't get a 90K mile all season and expect them to stop like a AA summer tire!!

I hope everybody goes and inspects tires and is being safe.

Tires made in Asia (China, Thailand, Viet Nam, Philippines, etc.) all are made to different specs, as they are made here in the U.S. All must meet US safety specs. But you can make a tire to last 30,000 miles or 90,000 miles here in the US, just as easily you can make them in Asia.

Almost all US tire companies (not many left) have tires made in Asia, and you don't even realize it.

I very realize all tires companies have tires made in communist China and go to great lengths to prevent consumers from being able to find out where they are made

Which is why they refuse to label where the tires are made

But I disagree with the tires from China being the same quality as the tires made in North America
There are no inspections or requirements for imported tires

And the tools and other items made in China are total garbage
You want to convince me the metal cords in Chinese tires are just as good as metal in North American tires when anyone shows ever bought a Chinese socket set knows it’s garbage

I very realize all tires companies have tires made in communist China and go to great lengths to prevent consumers from being able to find out where they are made

....All tires have a Made in XXXX (Country) stamp on the sidewall, and a lot have them printed on the tread stickers (if you are buying them new).

But I disagree with the tires from China being the same quality as the tires made in North America

...Yes, there are requirements. They must all meet US minimum safety specs- NHTSA/Federal specs. No importer will bring them in unless they qualify for this. The importer's can't risk consumer lives, their insurance, tire dealer customers, jail time, and future profits if they bring in "bad" tires.

You want to convince me the metal cords in Chinese tires are just as good as metal in North American tires when anyone shows ever bought a Chinese socket set knows it’s garbage

....All tires have a Made in XXXX (Country) stamp on the sidewall, and a lot have them printed on the tread stickers (if you are buying them new).

...Yes, there are requirements. They must all meet US minimum safety specs- NHTSA/Federal specs. No importer will bring them in unless they qualify for this. The importer's can't risk consumer lives, their insurance, tire dealer customers, jail time, and future profits if they bring in "bad" tires.

...You have more Chinese metal in your car now than you ever imagined. But, as the old adage goes with tools- you get what you pay for. Remember when Japanese stuff was crap in the 60's/70's?

Old article, but the info still applies:
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/should-i-buy-tires-made-in-china.html

I have a set of Michelins on my 1995 F150 that are 15 years old and have less than 10k miles on them.

Although they look like new, I'm sensitive to their age and potential failure - i only use the truck for light duty hauling when needed - never at highway speed.

As much as it pains me to replace a tire with maximun tread remaining, I'll likely replace them this spring.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I do all my own work and make sure I balance them real good so they last.
Wheel.jpeg

I recently replaced tires on 2007 Camry. Two of them came on it - 13.5 years old.

Not sure how old the tires are on my 2000 ford Explorer. Over ten years for sure. But they still have good tread and sidewalls look solid - no age cracks. Been garaged last 10 years. Just use it running around town now.
I still have the orginal tires on my Dodge Avenger and it's a 2009.They are about half worn out at 21,000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom