• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How loud is your handgun suppressor?

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
If a handgun suppressor is supposed to be putting rounds down range at 128 dB, what does that really mean in terms of how loud it sounds? Say you're using subsonic ammo too.

I found this chart and this chart which say it's similar to striking a drum or a balloon popping.

But for those of you who already have a handgun suppressor, what would you say the sound and volume is like? I suppose it's different whether you're the one shooting or someone standing a certain distance away?

Buy one, and you'll find out!

But really, it depends on the pistol/caliber/suppressor/ammo. I think it's quieter than a balloon popping. Maybe more like clapping your hands loudly, depending where you're standing. If the ammo is subsonic, and you're outside not under tree cover, with a good can, it's surprisingly and blissfully quiet. If all those factors are met, you can shoot a magazine or two without ear pro and it won't be uncomfortable at all.

Nowhere near a suppressed .22, of course - which is the real "hollywood" quiet.

Buy one, and you'll find out!

But really, it depends on the pistol/caliber/suppressor/ammo. I think it's quieter than a balloon popping. Maybe more like clapping your hands loudly, depending where you're standing. If the ammo is subsonic, and you're outside not under tree cover, with a good can, it's surprisingly and blissfully quiet. If all those factors are met, you can shoot a magazine or two without ear pro and it won't be uncomfortable at all.

Nowhere near a suppressed .22, of course - which is the real "hollywood" quiet.
Just waiting on jail time! Got 3 potential hosts I can't wait to try it out on, including a .22

Same suppressor, same ammo, and different guns will sound different a lot of the times. Depending on barrel length, sub or super sonic ammo, wet or dry can, etc. Bulk 22lr ammo is very barrel length sensitive for going super sonic. All are fun to shoot suppressed and it will cause you to appreciate your weapons more. I like the 1911/CZ 75 barrel lug style over the striker fired tilting barrels for sound reduction.

Rule of thumb that i was told was told was 4.5" for bulk .22 to remain subsoinc. And if you go 45 it is already subsonic so you dont have to buy sub rounds for it and it sounds great. I can run my fnx with a TiRant all day without ear pro and it is pleasant to shoot. I have shot it in the back yard and they couldnt hear it inside the house right behind me.

Depends on how cold it is outside, altitude, ammo, how close you are to a structure, and obviously caliber and which suppressor, and probably many other variables. The colder the day the louder the report.

But for me as the shooter:
9mm 165gr (Hush/reloads) - shutting a car door.
9mm 158gr - shutting car door with force.
9mm 147gr - slamming a car door.

Standing ~50 yards away, sounds like a nail gun.

9mm with wet suppressor - throwing a water balloon at a wall?

22lr out of a bolt gun with CCI SV, sounds like dropping my phone on the floor.
Out of 10/22 - sounds like a hand clap.
22lr out of my 22/45, with current 22 suppressor, is louder than my Obsidian with 9mm. I'm hoping this changes when I get me Mask.

Back
Top Bottom