• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many people are using a freeze dryer?

I had a change of plans today. Made Laffy Taffy and caramels earlier (turned out good). Just put in 3 more different kinds of ice cream to see how they do. Peppermint, triple brownie, and cookie dough to see how they do. Did vanilla/orange, mint chocolate chip, cookie & cream, plain old chocolate last time and all turned out great. Chicken A-La King will have to wait until tomorrow.

Two tips- 1 is use an egg cutter for strawberries, 2 apple peeler/slicer from Bed, Bath & Beyond makes great apple slices all the same thickness. Our 17mo grandson approves of both and ate a bunch this weekend when we had him.

We have one and love it. My advice is to pony up for the oil less pump. We have a lot of laying hens and run a lot of whipped eggs through it so after 2-3 batches I'm changing and filtering the oil. During the summer we grow a lot of pickling cucumber's and will slice some up, season with dill, ranch, powdered cheese etc, they make awesome snack chips and are much better for you.

I'm running the premier pump that is supposed to go 25-30 cycles between oil changes. So far, meals have turned out good. Ordered 150 mylar gusseted bags the other day along with parchment liners. The silicone liners are not ideal for everything I'm finding out.

I think that's doable on normal foods, the eggs being mostly liquid just fill the oil with so much moisture it won't maintain vacuum. When doing vegetables throughout the summer we don't have any issues

Do you have one of the earlier vacuum pumps? Mine came with the green premier pump and is working great and oil is still clear after about a dozen or so cycles. I did 2 batches of 60 eggs each without any issues.

No, just whipped with a fork and a splash of water.

Attachments

• 20230227_203216.jpg
    20230227_203216.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 16
Just an update for anyone considering getting one. I have 78 servings of of beef stroganoff processing right now. 40 in the freeze dryer and 38 more in the freezer waiting their turn. We have already filled up several of the large black/yellow lid totes with food. About the only thing that has given me issues is some fruit. We made basically smoothies with banana, strawberry, and blueberries with some protein power and milk the other day. They turned out good after freeze drying them into squares and bars. Little grandsons like them the way the are.

Back
Top Bottom