• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many rounds till you trust your pistol?

olchevy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
138   0
Reaction score
Just wondering what you all consider enough rounds through a pistol with no malfunctions as good to carry?

I recently obtained a PPK/S in a trade. When I received it it looked great but it had not been taken down and cleaned in well....it looked like forever.
The barrel and all was clean and there was nothing to keep it from being safe to shoot. So I decided to shoot it dirty and see how it did...First 50 rounds all ball...it had a FTF almost every other round!
I noticed the problem was that stupid little loaded chamber indicator pin was getting stuck, causing the round to get caught on it.

So I went and completely tore the whole pistol down and thoroughly cleaned it up, and gave all parts a light coating of Militec-1 and reassembled it...

Went out shooting a few minutes ago and put 200 rounds through it. Some slow and some VERY rapid shooting, I even tried limp wristing it on purpose. Not a single problem. It ran like a champ!

I was thinking about 400-500 rounds of no malfunctions should be pretty good to trust it. Oh and I practice ALL the time so it will get run through the paces regularly.
Plus everyone always want to shoot the cool looking little pistols.

Oh and this little pistol is WAY more accurate than you would think it would be, I am now able to hit small 4" targets way out there 30+ yards with SLOW aimed fire, remember this is a .380!

Well that was a long intro for a simple question...lol

So how many rounds do you put through a pistol till you trust it?

I usually say 500, but with one exception I've never had problems not show up in the first 100 rounds.

Once I have an issue with a gun though I always have a hard time trusting completely again, unless I can clearly see the issue and fix it. That's only happened to me once or twice though (one was actually the exeption mentioned above too). I realize that's not completely logical but that's how it is.

I am simply preparing for when I can get my carry license, I am debating on if this will be carried or if this will just be a fun play gun to be left at home.... It stays at home now it never leaves the house, I would not do anything in anyway to risk my right to carry in a few months.....that is beside the point anyways.

I am asking how many rounds do you put through a pistol till you can trust it.

Back
Top Bottom