• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many rounds till you trust your pistol?

They all malfunction, regardless of brand, and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise needs a piss test. A reasonably clean and well maintained weapon will be less likely to malfunction, but it will happen, and that's why you incorporate transitions and malfunction clearance into your training regimen. I've lost count of the number of guys who brag at the beginning of a class about how their Glock/HK/Sig/whatever never fails and then struggle when it fails during a string of fire because they don't train on malfunction clearance.

X1000

Thank you VHinch!

Yeah I saw a really good training video on youtube a while back. You do it in a run n' gun, but someone else loads your magazine and randomly places dummy rounds in it, so while you are running and shooting it just randomly malfunctions on you and you have to clear the jamb as fast as possible....real good training aide.

I usually run about 1-200rds of FMJs and about 2 mags worth of whatever HPs Ill be carrying to feel comfortable with a particular gun. Like others have said, all semi-autos will jam once in a while and in my experience its usually the shooters fault and not the weapons (limp wristing, magazine not inserted properly, etc...) The only weapon I have that has really NEVER jammed aside from my AK is my Astra A-75. 4000+rds without a single malfunction!

Actually my LCP had a couple of failure to extracts at the range the other day. I think it was just because I got a little lazy with my grip but still it makes me a little weary...

500, once ive run 500 though it I feel comfortable BUT its best to practice a malfunction dill. I have snap caps that I altered so that they will jam any pistol any time it comes up. I put one mid mag and practice. You never know when a jam might happen.

I usually like to shoot ~500 rounds of anything, then ~200 rounds of defense ammo before feeling good about the combo.

I am good with 150 rounds. I am not the guy that goes to the range all the time. I will go with a new pistol and check it out, run it through, etc....but like a car....I don't want to put 100,000 miles on it to see how it will hold up. And before we start, I know cars and firearms are much different.

I have been carrying since I was 21 and after approx 150-200 rounds, I feel i can trust it. I carried the Browning Hi Power for years that my father gave me. Love Love Love that pistol.....but thats another thread, sorry

Back
Top Bottom