• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many rounds till you trust your pistol?

They all malfunction, regardless of brand, and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise needs a piss test. A reasonably clean and well maintained weapon will be less likely to malfunction, but it will happen, and that's why you incorporate transitions and malfunction clearance into your training regimen. I've lost count of the number of guys who brag at the beginning of a class about how their Glock/HK/Sig/whatever never fails and then struggle when it fails during a string of fire because they don't train on malfunction clearance.

Could not have been said any better! Shoot a Glock (or any other good pistol) and train like it a Lorcin!

For me it's not so much just a pistol thing........it has a lot to do with ammo too.

Of course if it's a new pistol I take it to my range area and run it through the course. A typical session shooting my course will usually equate to at least 200 rds. I also do this when switching ammo......however if it's high dollar stuff 50rds will suffice...lol!

Malfunction drills FTW.

Half these cats would look like a cow staring at a gate when it happens to them, especially when they carry only one mag.

Last edited:
Malfunction drills FTW.

Half these cats would look like a cow staring at a gate when it happens to them, especially when they carry only one mag.

Best response I've seen in this thread. I don't have any specific number of rounds with any particular piece before I carry it. But know your piece! Responding to a malfunction should be as automatic for you as feeding of the next round is for your pistol. Failure while uncommon with many quality firearms "will" happen. A quick "instinctive" recovery response and back to business is the key.

Thats one of the things that leads me away from the PPK/S....In a jamb , you have to remove the mag and rack it back, It will not lock back with out an empty mag in it....In the designing process it was suppose to simplify the pistol with less parts to malfunction, but in turn it makes clearing a FTF or double feed a PITA, and since it is a simple blowback design, no barrel tilt it is much more prone to feeding issues because of the very steep feed angle....I put another 100 BALL and 25 federal hydrashocks though it with out a single problem...It is gaining my trust now, it just likes to be very clean and oiled, which is how I keep all my weapons, but it is nice to know they wont be finicky if they do get a little dirty.... However still, as for now when I start carrying I will stick with my Glock 23 or my S&W 640.... Just out of curiosity after you apply for you GWL how long does it normally take to get back?

Thats one of the things that leads me away from the PPK/S....In a jamb , you have to remove the mag and rack it back, It will not lock back with out an empty mag in it....In the designing process it was suppose to simplify the pistol with less parts to malfunction, but in turn it makes clearing a FTF or double feed a PITA

It's not a big deal to clear a double feed without locking the slide back. It's not the best way to do it, but there are several well known instructors that teach it that way for all platforms. If you're going to consider adding the PPK to your carry rotation, it might be prudent for you to train double feed clearance using that method, since it would work for you on all your platforms you may carry.

It's not a big deal to clear a double feed without locking the slide back. It's not the best way to do it, but there are several well known instructors that teach it that way for all platforms. If you're going to consider adding the PPK to your carry rotation, it might be prudent for you to train double feed clearance using that method, since it would work for you on all your platforms you may carry.

I will have to look into that...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom