• 4 - three shot groups

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bwsmith

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
111   0
Reaction score
That pretty much sums it up. How many 3 or 5 shot groups should you take to test a load? I was thinking 2-4 five shot groups so load basically boxes of 20.

I'm the "other" guy so far. It varies at to the type of firearm and it's application. I'm assumimg we are accuracy testing. I usually shoot a series of 3 shot groups from a hunting rifle. Relying on cold barrel first shot consistency. I do the same on a target/varmint rifle with the exception that I shoot 5 shot groups with it. Since I have to go to a range now, I usually load a full box of 50 handgun rounds. I shoot in groups of 5 with autoloaders, I go ahead and fill the cylinder on a revolver. AR's and similar rifles, usually get the 5 shot test. When I have time now, I take my chronograph with me. It is a great tool. I look for consistent velocities with as low of deviation as possible, however I have had some loads with higher SD's shoot better in some apps. It ain't an exact science?

I'm the "other" guy so far. It varies at to the type of firearm and it's application. I'm assumimg we are accuracy testing. I usually shoot a series of 3 shot groups from a hunting rifle. Relying on cold barrel first shot consistency. I do the same on a target/varmint rifle with the exception that I shoot 5 shot groups with it. Since I have to go to a range now, I usually load a full box of 50 handgun rounds. I shoot in groups of 5 with autoloaders, I go ahead and fill the cylinder on a revolver. AR's and similar rifles, usually get the 5 shot test. When I have time now, I take my chronograph with me. It is a great tool. I look for consistent velocities with as low of deviation as possible, however I have had some loads with higher SD's shoot better in some apps. It ain't an exact science?

X2 . I have the luxury of being able to load pistol round and walk out my back door and test. I do 5 at a time. My rifles I usually do either 3 or 5 shot groups working up loads. Usually 3.

Back
Top Bottom