• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much ammo?

1000 for rifle, 500 for handgun, and a few thousand 22lr put aside for a SHTF situation. Always nice to have more on hand though
what he said!!
that's a 1,000 for EACH rifle you own....that's 500 for EACH pistol you own....22's well, you can never have enough of that....I'd have to say 5k-20k

what he said!!
that's a 1,000 for EACH rifle you own....that's 500 for EACH pistol you own....22's well, you can never have enough of that....I'd have to say 5k-20k
An interesting question in all of this is what will the public (TV audience) perception of your stash be if your house gets raided? Most everybody on here I know thinks of ammo as just something that's sensible to have on hand. Its just normal supplies, like a box of nails or screws. Just imagine a good news story about a local sheriff's raid where they seized 15 guns and 20k rounds of ammo. Betting it would sound crazy to the average viewer or that's how they'd paint it...your stash carefully displayed, laid out on the living room floor. An ODT guy could easily understand it, but imagine the breaking news headline and public perception.

We here will think that its reasonable. Heck, that's just a couple of old family guns you'd never sell, your truck 45, nightstand 38, EDC pistol, a couple of plinking 22's, 3 ARs in different caliber/configs, 2 main hunting rifles, old 20ga double, semi-auto 12, and a few collectable guns you just love. And that's if you don't even have kids.

Now if you had a nice cheap stack (20 boxes?) of Walmart 550 round 22LR ammo for plinking and pest control, you're already at 11k rounds for only $600 without loading a single other gun, and you have 10 other calibers, so 15k rounds is not even a challenge at a mere 8-50rd boxes per caliber. How would that story pan out though? Hasn't effected my game, but it would make an interesting news story, am I right?

An interesting question in all of this is what will the public (TV audience) perception of your stash be if your house gets raided? Most everybody on here I know thinks of ammo as just something that's sensible to have on hand. Its just normal supplies, like a box of nails or screws. Just imagine a good news story about a local sheriff's raid where they seized 15 guns and 20k rounds of ammo. Betting it would sound crazy to the average viewer or that's how they'd paint it...your stash carefully displayed, laid out on the living room floor. An ODT guy could easily understand it, but imagine the breaking news headline and public perception.

We here will think that its reasonable. Heck, that's just a couple of old family guns you'd never sell, your truck 45, nightstand 38, EDC pistol, a couple of plinking 22's, 3 ARs in different caliber/configs, 2 main hunting rifles, old 20ga double, semi-auto 12, and a few collectable guns you just love. And that's if you don't even have kids.

Now if you had a nice cheap stack (20 boxes?) of Walmart 550 round 22LR ammo for plinking and pest control, you're already at 11k rounds for only $600 without loading a single other gun, and you have 10 other calibers, so 15k rounds is not even a challenge at a mere 8-50rd boxes per caliber. How would that story pan out though? Hasn't effected my game, but it would make an interesting news story, am I right?

Yep, I always laugh at the stories touting an "arsenal" confiscated, only to show a couple of pistols and rifles/shotguns.
Snowflakes think that owning even one gun makes you a rabid nutcase teetering on the edge of going postal.
If you worry about what other people might think of you, you'll drive yourself crazier.
And anyway, in reality, wouldn't 15 guns/20k rounds make one just an entry level enthusiast?

Yep, I always laugh at the stories touting an "arsenal" confiscated, only to show a couple of pistols and rifles/shotguns.
Snowflakes think that owning even one gun makes you a rabid nutcase teetering on the edge of going postal.
If you worry about what other people might think of you, you'll drive yourself crazier.
And anyway, in reality, wouldn't 15 guns/20k rounds make one just an entry level enthusiast?

I hope all entry level enthusiasts are this prepared.
Arm yourselves well, and have enough guns and ammo to supply a few of those closest to us.

My alarm went off a couple years ago. I was not available at the time, and it was set off by my cleaners, who, of course, split, and left the door open...well the police show, then go through the house....later, I was sweating bullets(no pun)....nothing came of it...BUT they were able to go through a lot of my stuff....most was in the concrete vault, however enough was visible....loaders, powder, projectiles, magazines...and my shotgun ammo...other ammo...it really is not a lot, but some would find it strange

Attachments

• DSC01374.JPG
    DSC01374.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom