• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much do you talk with your neighbors?

Sigo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
I have been communicating with some friends in the Houston area. I am amazed how many ran out of gas, water and food just days after the storms hit, even when their home was not flooded. I have queried some of my neighbors and am amazed that they continue to have the same complacent ideas that will leave them in the same situation should a storm ravage our little corner of the world (Irma anyone?). It bothers me that they consistently give me the same old line of, "everything will be back to normal in a couple of days."

I have told them that they should think about having at least a couple weeks of food. FEMA recommends up to three weeks of food and water, according to some sources. I asked them how they will clean themselves, dispose of waste and such and pointed out that we have "boil water alerts" every few months somewhere in this city. I've pointed out the empty shelves and no gas signs in Texas as reasons they may want to reconsider their course of action. I am careful to only admit to having a "Storm Supply", so that they won't be too inclined to try to treat my like a food closet or gas station.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is running into the same level of concern among their neighbors.

I don't talk to my neighbors very often, and if they ask, I will tell them I don't have anything stocked up. It's none of their business as what they have is none of mine.
Yeah I'm pretty much on the same page here.One neighbor is en electrician that works out of town a lot. In fact his dog took up living over here. Neighbors on the other side ain't home much either. And the ones beside them are running a dope house. I damn sure don't talk to them.

I talk with every one of my neighbors when we see each other out in the yard and grill/watch football with the neighbor behind me regularly. This topic has never come up though, but I prefer to get to know the folks around me so you know who you can count on if you have to.

I don't see what harm could be done from having a friendly conversation with neighbors. Some of y'all seem like this fits...

neighbors_o_1591375.jpg

Live on a cul-de-sac. Pretty close with all neighbors, never talk finances, prep or security though. Think if something bad happened, we'd all pull together (for a while). One is a recently widowed eighty-something, we'd probably get her to move in with us, provided our house was habitable.
Speaking of prep, I've got one empty gas can I'm going to fill now, and top off the car. Don't know where that new hurricane will land.
Tomorrow's senile citizen shopping day at Publix, may lay in a little extra.

I just added another 2 barrells, to my Water supply recently from a ODT member. That makes (5) 50 gallon water drums for me my wife and son, I would not help any of my neighbors except for the old couple next to me. I have people who are always saying yeah I need to put stuff away for the future. I had one friend tell me and my wife, if something happens I'm coming to your house. My wife was like and you would get shot you like any other Looter!! Why, do people think that if you have prepared that they can borrow off you?? The guys wife spoke to me later and asked me if my wife was serious, I said off course she is serious what makes your family more important than mine?? After, this message I'm texting all my Friends about being prepared for emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom