• 9 months

• 1 Year or More

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
Some people might think 3 days worth of food is sufficient. Others may go up to a week. Some may go up to several weeks.

Based on past events, a couple of weeks worth would probably be enough for most all problems we have seen in the last century or so.

What do you think is the right amount?

From 3 days to a week seems kind of ridiculous. That's basically me between trips to Publix.

You have to figure anything that's bad enough to make me eat those Mountain House meals I have stashed away will take months, not weeks to resolve.

I say as much as you can, but be sure to focus on food you like and that you normally use so it's easier to bulk buy every few months to keep it rotated.

We probably have two weeks of consumables. However, in 2014, I bought a years worth of Wise/Ready Wise freeze dried meals: breakfasts, entrees, fruits, vegetables, etc. I know it's high in salt, but it has a shelf life of 25 years. If things get dicey, I'm hoping it will supplement whatever limited food is available.

I think potable water should be your primary concern. You need a variety of capture and filtration options on hand. We're good on that.

I think a week worth of normal stuff is reasonable. That's assuming no rationing, no cracking the emergency stuff. From there I keep about 6 months worth of food we'd normally eat in the freezer or canned goods.

then I'm shooting for a year's worth of calories. I don't plan on diving into the mylar rice and beans day 1, but it would certainly help stretch meals if I could add a side of something like that right away.

I think one of the problems could be that you don't know SHTF until it's too late. Remember the first week of rona? people were having BBQs and hanging out on the sidewalk drinking beer and BSing with neighbors. If that had been the start of something long term they would have been better off sitting on as much supply as possible and hanging out. But it's really hard to know you're in the S until after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom