• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much is to much?

I have what I need and have begun to add some wants. It is a refreshing change from the past 5 years.

If your family is doing without because of your hobby, it is too much. Otherwise I see no problem.

If you are active in the shooting sports and do a variety of different kinds of hunting and target shooting, and if you believe in having guns for self-defense out on the street AND home defense, AND if your gun collection is not just for arming you, but also for arming your spouse and a couple of teenage or adult kids...

... I'd say that you'd have to have over 50 guns before I'd say you might possibly have too many.

Pretty much anybody with any interest in guns, or ANY of the shooting sports or disciplines could justify having one gun for each purpose or type of sport. I think a small but versatile collection of 10 guns would be these types:

1--One small handgun for concealed carry and glove box carry.
2-- one .22 rimfire handgun for training new shooters and letting women and kids shoot a pistol that has almost no recoil or muzzle flip.
3--One big handgun for the range, for home defense, to take hiking or camping, and for action pistol shooting games.
4--One old gun because it was your grandfather's, and even though it's not the make and model or caliber you really like shooting, you can't get rid of it. Family history and all that.

5-One .22 rifle for fun plinking and small game / pest control.
6--One .30 bore big game rifle for hunting, or target practice at 100 to 500 yards.
7-- One modern tactical type semi-auto carbine for home defense, the "militia" role envisioned in the Second Amendment, and plinking just for fun out to maybe 100 yards.
8--- A bolt-action military surplus rifle because, well, it's cool and it's got all that history behind it.

9-- An over/under shotgun for sporting clays, trap, and skeet shooting, and some bird hunting.
10-- A pump or semi-auto shotgun for other hunting, including turkey, geese, and ducks.

How much is too much rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Wondering if I have too many?

My wife caught me with 54 weapons. She, had a fit made me get rid of some but when I explained to her that I need enough weapons and ammo for a full 13 Man/Women Squad in case The **** Hits the Fan in our country. Now, she says that she understands. I just need to be careful when I buy another AR-15 or handgun. I just remember when I was in the military so many M-4's would not fire due to poor maintenance so you need back-ups!!!

Back
Top Bottom