• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much to replace U joints?

Checked the U joints today and they seem tight and rubber seals look good. However, I seem to have a little play in the difernetial. About 5 to 7 degrees I would guess. Not sure if this is considered excessive. Any opinions?

Checked the U joints today and they seem tight and rubber seals look good. However, I seem to have a little play in the difernetial. About 5 to 7 degrees I would guess. Not sure if this is considered excessive. Any opinions?

I had the pinion nut come loose one time. Caused a clunk like you describe. I could not find the loose area till I dropped the drive shaft, then the pinion shaft had obvious play.

Should you decide to take this mission of replacement on, make sure you only mark one side of the two yokes to help keep them keep in balance when replacing the joints in the yokes, get them out of balance and you will have to do the whole job over again.

If you have a constant velocity u-joint set up take the drive shaft to a drive shaft professional to get the job done and be through with it... That type of set up requires cutting the u-joints out of the drive shaft.

That's why I always take my own meat and vegetables with me for the restaurants to cook when I go out to eat.

Seriously, let the shop that makes the diagnosis and does the work provide the part. There's no way in hell any reasonable business will stand behind a labor warranty on a part you provide. A decent shop will gladly install the brand you request.
If you know that a particular brand name part is superior. Why trust the shop to put in any old cheap part that is of unknown quality? A broken u-joint will leave you on the side of the road every time. The price point on a quality u-joint is 20-25 dollars. Worth a couple extra bucks to eliminate the weak link.

If your shop has their knickers in a twist because they cannot charge you $60 for the $10 dollar part they would normally install. Maybe you ought to do it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom