• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much would it cost to swap the drivetrain from a 7.3L into a V10 excursion? Rust, damn rust

Good tips, yea I've had two local body shops tell me they won't touch rust.

I'll post some pics
I'm in GA
Thanks for the good info

Then you can't do a gas to diesel conversion until it's 26 years old if you live in a county with emission inspections

Because your title says gas which means you have to pass the gas burner emission test to renew your tag
Which you can't do since it's now a Diesel engine

THe body shops that do quick repairs for insurance companies aren't going to touch rust repair
Rust repair takes actual skill , a lot more skill than bolting on new plastic parts and sort of spraying print in the general direction of the car

You gotta find someone , almost guaranteed to have grey hair , that does actual old school body work on the side or has a shop at their home

Post up some pics

Depending on how bad the rust is , it may not be as hard as it seems to replace an outer rocker panel

If the in r rockers are bad rusty thats a lot more work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the gvwr is above 8500 lbs (I think that's the number), there are no emission inspection requirements. I'm guessing an excursion falls into that category.

Reactions: MRM
It is why the large firms buy 250's

Oh. Right
I forgot about that

This also causes problems for the companies though
Because if you have a 2500 and hook a trailer to it , then you're considered the same as an 18 wheeler by the DOT
Supposed to have a DOT number on the side , keep a logbook , go thru the weigh station etc

I need to seriously invest in a work space and learn how to do auto transmissions, convertible tops, and rust remediation.

I need to seriously invest in a work space and learn how to do auto transmissions, convertible tops, and rust remediation.

Automatic transmission rebuilds are approaching $3000
Some are more than that

And they usually fail while the rest of the car is perfectly fine

Yet another reason to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission

As if an automatic eating up 20% of the power and 20% of the mpg wasn't reason enough

Oh. Right
I forgot about that

This also causes problems for the companies though
Because if you have a 2500 and hook a trailer to it , then you're considered the same as an 18 wheeler by the DOT
Supposed to have a DOT number on the side , keep a logbook , go thru the weigh station etc

Not sure about the log book, but GA DOT adopted federal DOT standards a year or 2 ago (thanks Georgia legislators, I'd like to know how I can vote to make your life more difficult). Thankfully we don't necessarily need a CDL, but yes, medical card, annual vehicle inspections, roadside emergency kits, etc.

Automatic transmission rebuilds are approaching $3000
Some are more than that

And they usually fail while the rest of the car is perfectly fine

Yet another reason to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission

As if an automatic eating up 20% of the power and 20% of the mpg wasn't reason enough

That's only true if you're comparing old cars. Modern manual transmissions are as efficient and faster than manual. Even Ferraris are faster with auto transmissions...

Back
Top Bottom