• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How not to do deals here on ODT.....a story of one such adventure...

Rob62

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
Well, I contemplated a long time before making this post.

It has to do with an inexpensive ($100) .22 rifle I posted for sale.

On 24 December a forum member with about a dozen only positive feedback says "I'll take it". There were a few follow up PM's about time and location to meet.

On 5 January we agreed on a location and day to meet......since then nothing...

I can see said forum member has been logged in to ODT but no response to my multiple attempts at communication.

Things happen, money problems, kids get sick, people even change their minds, life goes on. But not having the common courtesy to at least reach out to the other party and explain what is happening is in my opinion totally unacceptable.

Anyway with that small rant out of the way. I know this type of behavior is the rare exception here at ODT. Everyone else who I have dealt with over the years has been great. We may not always have been able to come to terms on a trade or sale. But those negotiations were done in good faith and in the end things just did not work out.

If the ODT'er in question is reading this - maybe you should be embarrassed. Maybe not, I don't know your situation. But responding to my PM's may be a good start. And if you do manage to overcome your embarrassment, you are still welcome to pick up the rifle. It's set aside for you.

Regards,

Rob

Good post, Rob 62.

Of course you should leave a negative feedback, too.

But thanks for explaining how this feels from your perspective as the seller.

Buyers who flake out and don't show for the deal (or stop communicating before the exact time and precise location is fixed (i.e. "I'll meet you in Roswell along Hwy 9 on Tuesday evening" instead of "see you at 7:30 at the IHOP on Hwy 9 just north of Holcomb Bridge Rd.") need to know that it's rude and likely to interfere with the seller finding another buyer for the thing.

Well, I contemplated a long time before making this post.

It has to do with an inexpensive ($100) .22 rifle I posted for sale.

On 24 December a forum member with about a dozen only positive feedback says "I'll take it". There were a few follow up PM's about time and location to meet.

On 5 January we agreed on a location and day to meet......since then nothing...

I can see said forum member has been logged in to ODT but no response to my multiple attempts at communication.

Things happen, money problems, kids get sick, people even change their minds, life goes on. But not having the common courtesy to at least reach out to the other party and explain what is happening is in my opinion totally unacceptable.

Anyway with that small rant out of the way. I know this type of behavior is the rare exception here at ODT. Everyone else who I have dealt with over the years has been great. We may not always have been able to come to terms on a trade or sale. But those negotiations were done in good faith and in the end things just did not work out.

If the ODT'er in question is reading this - maybe you should be embarrassed. Maybe not, I don't know your situation. But responding to my PM's may be a good start. And if you do manage to overcome your embarrassment, you are still welcome to pick up the rifle. It's set aside for you.

Regards,

Rob

If you get on their ass in a PM, call them an asshat and place them on Ignore, they will reply promptly, even though you can accumulate points for pointing out that an asshat is in fact an asshat. Don't ask me how I know.

I have over 160 on Ignore and most are from their lameness and lack of communication skills, the rest are just because they are asshats.

Rob62, I hate to hear that you have had to deal with what you described. I hope that this negative experience does not push you away from buying/selling/trading on this site. I have done more than a few deals on this site, and I only had to give one negative feedback, but that was one too many. I guess that I have been lucky not to have encountered the level of ignorance you described more than once. Hang in there, there are some really good members on this site.

Back
Top Bottom