• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How not to do deals here on ODT.....a story of one such adventure...

Guys, please don't discount everyone that has a few trades or sales (like me). Many of us have been here a long time and just don't do a heap of buying or trading but our word is good.

This. If I get an offer, the first thing I look at is feedback. If the feed back is low, I look at how long the person has been on the site.

Neg em. I would hate to give someone good business who unbeknownst to me has been screwing over my buddies.
You can't neg them until a date,time and place have been agreed to by PM (text don't count). Once all that is agreed to in PM and they don't show or respond you can neg them . Not my rules but I learned about them after a deal with south for me.

I have made a deal with a person ,agreed on price ,place to meet and time. Texted the day of the meet while getting ready to make the 2 hour drive. I was told “oh I sold it last night”. No sorry or anything.

I have made a deal with a person ,agreed on price ,place to meet and time. Texted the day of the meet while getting ready to make the 2 hour drive. I was told “oh I sold it last night”. No sorry or anything.

I had that happen to me and the MOD said that we didn't have a time and place, (exit 98 at 10:00 Sat am) seemed like a time and place to me.
This fellow PMed me his phone number Wrong.

And off to Ignore he went.

This. If I get an offer, the first thing I look at is feedback. If the feed back is low, I look at how long the person has been on the site.

I have done some deals with newbies that good people. I get a phone number and have a conversation before I commit to the deal.

I have done some deals with newbies that good people. I get a phone number and have a conversation before I commit to the deal.

I have as well. Even had a few good dealings with folks with negatives on them. But also been burned by both. My system work for me, so I’ll stick with it.

You can't neg them until a date,time and place have been agreed to by PM (text don't count). Once all that is agreed to in PM and they don't show or respond you can neg them . Not my rules but I learned about them after a deal with south for me.
He met those requirements did he not?

From OP - “There were a few follow up PM's about time and location to meet.

On 5 January we agreed on a location and day to meet......since then nothing...

I can see said forum member has been logged in to ODT but no response to my multiple attempts at communication.”

So why not neg him

Even as a relative newb, with just a few deals, I've experienced disappearing members. Don't know why if someone contacts me about an item and I respond, they can't at least let me know if they want item or not. If you think my price is too high, say no thank you or make an offer.
My favorite so far is a guy that backed out of a deal, decided he wanted something else, contacted me a month later on same gun, commited to deal but had to "check with his wife". All crickets since.

I have as well. Even had a few good dealings with folks with negatives on them. But also been burned by both. My system work for me, so I’ll stick with it.

I think the "newbie" should have to do most of the legwork and don't make me have to ask the same question twice.

Back
Top Bottom