• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How not to do deals here on ODT.....a story of one such adventure...

I have read on some threads that say they won't trade with people that have so few trades. I don't think most would worry about it.
I have made a deal with a person ,agreed on price ,place to meet and time. Texted the day of the meet while getting ready to make the 2 hour drive. I was told “oh I sold it last night”. No sorry or anything.

Has this happen once. About a 3 hour drive, and seller refused to drive past the end of his driveway. Had the balls to say if was "first come first serve, and the other guy got there first"

Has this happen once. About a 3 hour drive, and seller refused to drive past the end of his driveway. Had the balls to say if was "first come first serve, and the other guy got there first"

Yep, all based on trust. You trust him to meet and to go through with the deal and he does the same. That’s one reason the feedback system is so worth while.

Yep, all based on trust. You trust him to meet and to go through with the deal and he does the same. That’s one reason the feedback system is so worth while.
Well I found a big flaw with the system this week. Drove all the way to meet someone local to them (90 mins one way), no problem. He decides he wants to change the terms of the deal to include things I don't have with me, obviously I cannot physically accommodate his desires. He cancels the deal and leaves.

Because he showed up, I can't leave him negative or neutral feedback even, although he went back on his word (and PMs) regarding the deal.

This is the first time I've had this happen in 200+ deals I've done...and he tried to neg me, but the mods took care of it before I could even see what he said. :/

Well I found a big flaw with the system this week. Drove all the way to meet someone local to them (90 mins one way), no problem. He decides he wants to change the terms of the deal to include things I don't have with me, obviously I cannot physically accommodate his desires. He cancels the deal and leaves.

Because he showed up, I can't leave him negative or neutral feedback even, although he went back on his word (and PMs) regarding the deal.

This is the first time I've had this happen in 200+ deals I've done...and he tried to neg me, but the mods took care of it before I could even see what he said. :/

Dang bro that sucks, glad the mods took care of the Bs though

Is that what the public call out is for? We need a “break glass in case of emergency public call out” box with a big red button to press

Well, I contemplated a long time before making this post.

It has to do with an inexpensive ($100) .22 rifle I posted for sale.

On 24 December a forum member with about a dozen only positive feedback says "I'll take it". There were a few follow up PM's about time and location to meet.

On 5 January we agreed on a location and day to meet......since then nothing...

I can see said forum member has been logged in to ODT but no response to my multiple attempts at communication.

Things happen, money problems, kids get sick, people even change their minds, life goes on. But not having the common courtesy to at least reach out to the other party and explain what is happening is in my opinion totally unacceptable.

Anyway with that small rant out of the way. I know this type of behavior is the rare exception here at ODT. Everyone else who I have dealt with over the years has been great. We may not always have been able to come to terms on a trade or sale. But those negotiations were done in good faith and in the end things just did not work out.

If the ODT'er in question is reading this - maybe you should be embarrassed. Maybe not, I don't know your situation. But responding to my PM's may be a good start. And if you do manage to overcome your embarrassment, you are still welcome to pick up the rifle. It's set aside for you.

Regards,

Rob

Nothing like driving 80 miles in a thunderstorm. no show & at home posting school me on this that..., sell for higher offer, leave neg. fb to my neg. fb & have it stick for months... my welcoming to odt. Stayed because every one after that was exceptional however your more patient than I'll ever be.

Don't deal with people that aren't willing to put it all in PMs. That's the only recourse you have against the Lame Asshats.

Back
Top Bottom