• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How old to buy ammo

MrJim

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
19   0
Reaction score
My youngest kid is going shopping tonight and i want him to pick up some ammo for me. No way im getting out in that mess. He is 18. Is it a go or no go?

I recall them asking if it is for a pistol or rifle? Do not answer like I have before: " It is to throw in the fire in the backyard."

Funny this topic came up. I stopped at Walmart yesterday to buy a few things before the mad holiday rush. I picked up a hundred pack of 12 gauge shells. When I placed everything on the counter the lady looked at me and said "age". It didn't bother me she asked but it was odd. I am 56 years old so there was no mistaking age.

I try telling some of those young check-out clerks that I was “old enough” before they were born.
(Seriously, I have Christmas sweaters and multiple neckties older than these store staff people.)

They have to ask no matter what age you are, just 'for the record'. I always laugh when a clerk cards me for booze at Publix... takes me back to my teenage years.

They have to ask no matter what age you are, just 'for the record'. I always laugh when a clerk cards me for booze at Publix... takes me back to my teenage years.

They have to ask because they have to punch it into the cash register. The register will not ring up the sale until the info is entered.

The only gray area is rimfire, which the stupid federal rules require to be recorded because it is "pistol" ammo, but as noted, as long as he says "raffle" he is good to go.

Footnote, watched some 3rd worlders trying to but beer in Kroger at 12:29:30 on Sunday. They were "language limited" and the poor cashier was trying to explain that she could not put it into the register until straight up 12:30.

I use to buy ammo for my 30-30 when I was 16 but that was in ass backwards Oklahoma. I think pistol calibers would be more regulated and rifle rounds he could buy at 18. But I am not an expert on the laws of ammo purchases.

I use to buy ammo for my 30-30 when I was 16 but that was in ass backwards Oklahoma. I think pistol calibers would be more regulated and rifle rounds he could buy at 18. But I am not an expert on the laws of ammo purchases.

Western Auto for .22. Can't remember exactly, but think they were 50 cents a box.

Back
Top Bottom