• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How strict are you when first introducing a command?

wberry85

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Do you enforce perfection from the first time you introduce the command or do you just make the dog get the basics down and then mold him into perfection later?

If you enforce perfection from the start, the dog may have a harder time learning the command, but if you just work on the basics and then work on perfecting it later on, you will have more bad habits to work on. Which is best?

I start with the basics. Like with retrieving I had him go get it, bring it back. Later I made him hold it no matter what until I announced "give". Once he got that down I started making him sit and hold and then give. After that I went on to making him come around behind me and sit facing out. I think its easier for my dog to digest things like this although as Ive said before, Im a complete rookie and this is my first dog so I could be doing everything wrong. I just love him to death and discipline him when he needs it...seems to work out fine.

Sometimes my dog will sit sort of slouching or sometimes he will sit right at my side facing forward and sometimes in front facing me. BUT the point of my training is to have him retrieve the dummy, bring it back and sit until I say otherwise. Eventually I would like him to sit at my side facing forward in a proper position every time, but right now as long as he retrieves and sits I am ok with that. I didnt know if I was doing a bad thing by letting the bad habits go for now as long as he is getting the big picture or if I should correct him and work on the details right now.

Maybe I am thinking too hard about it? lol

Sometimes my dog will sit sort of slouching or sometimes he will sit right at my side facing forward and sometimes in front facing me. BUT the point of my training is to have him retrieve the dummy, bring it back and sit until I say otherwise. Eventually I would like him to sit at my side facing forward in a proper position every time, but right now as long as he retrieves and sits I am ok with that. I didnt know if I was doing a bad thing by letting the bad habits go for now as long as he is getting the big picture or if I should correct him and work on the details right now.

Maybe I am thinking too hard about it? lol

With me, I move on to the next step when I feel he has really gotten the first one down 90-95%. If he is only at 80% on what Im already asking, I dont feel adding something else will help. Im telling you, this back porch/platform thing is the way to go when it comes to retrieving. He has no choice but to do it right every time.

Back
Top Bottom