• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to build a B-24 in an hour

I get a little nostalgic heartache when I watch old reels like this. We were "a people", a nation. Americans with a common culture, common purpose and similar values as a whole. Sure, we were a melting pot with subsets of culture and ethnicity even then but it wasn't diversity that made America great. It was the common bond that the vast majority of Americans shared, centered around the Constitutional ideals laid out in the founding documents of this great country.

I know I'm a geek for this old stuff but you are exactly right.

And back then everyone contributed. It was an all-out effort. Probably the reason I'm so fascinated with the time period.
I'm in the same boat. Always loved old warbirds especialyy WW2 and I got the opportunity to get 20 minutes in the left seat of a B-17 "Aluminum Overcast". It was like flying a bus. Very heavy on the controls but truly humbling.

Later 12 of us skydivers rented the "Nine-0-Nine" B-17 and bailed out of it (we dropped out through the bomb bay) over Destin, FL and landed on the beach. Wanted to jump a B-24 but the bomb bay doors rolled up instead of folding like the B17 and both we and the pilots felt there was to big a risk of getting hung up on all if the moving parts.

Back
Top Bottom