• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to build a house?

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
I’m looking for suggestions for books/courses/etc for the hows & whys of building houses. I don’t know what that would be considered, structural engineering maybe? Basically, where can I learn the things a builder knows about building houses?

There’s always a new project popping up at our house, and I’d like to get my knowledge ahead of the curve, rather than researching each new issue after it comes up. Also, I could see myself building a house in the distant future, so may as well get started building that knowledge set now.

Books can't really help honestly. A lot of stuff builders know is from years of mistakes. Feel free to shoot me questions anytime. You're probably pretty close to me as well. I'd be willing to give pointers. I've been in construction for 20 years. I just did an addition onto my house myself. I did everything except electrical and hvac. Those were the only to things hired out. Really more to fear than knowledge. But after watching them l could pop f done it to.

I do not know much about building a house.

However, I have several friends who learned how to build houses by volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. One of the guys even went on to give up one high paying career to become a professional builder. He is doing quite well.

I built my own 1800sqft house, everything except the slab and septic system.

My main resource was a copy of the current building code book. Codes are the MINIMUM acceptable standards for construction.

The best way to learn is by doing it. No amount of reading can replace the knowledge of learning it by hand. You can watch some good YouTube videos to get pointers and good steps to follow. But until you actually do it it's not the same thing. Professionals that you see in books and videos make it look easy.

Back
Top Bottom