• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to change the A/C belt on a 2012 Yukon Denali 6.2. GMC infinite wisdom?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I went to change the belts on my wife's 2012 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2 motor. I figured it would have a tensioner like the main belt does, but it doesn't. The old belt has to be cut off and the new one stretched on. $65000 dollar damn vehicle and this is the kind of backwards crap I have to do to replace a belt. I would expect this from some antique vehicle. Apparently there is a special tool you have to buy (of course there is) and install to stretch the new belt on.

Poor mans method that works:
Or you can get a couple of 11" zip ties, 1/2 ratchet, 3" extension and a 15/16 socket. Use your EDC to cut the old belt off. Place the new belt over and behind the crank pulley. Start the belt on the A/C pulley and then place the belt on the top part of the crank pulley. Using 2 zip ties run through the crank pulley and zip tie as much of the belt as possible. Then with your 15/16 and ratchet placed on the crank pulley center bolt, rotate the crank until the belt falls into place.

My method is even easier. Only tool I need is my credit card.

That works to.

I changed the main belt, A/C belt, tensioner and idler pulleys in about 30 minutes. I wasn't willing to pay their inflated costs for that or leave my car all day or two or three for them to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom