• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to flash between deck and sunroom?

MyRight

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
I'm working on plans to build an enclosed sunroom and extend a deck off of it.
I'm not sure I'm going about this the correct way, but with my joists secured on top of my rim joist, I am not sure how the flashing would work between the sunroom and deck.
Any ideas? Do I need to reconfigure how the deck joists are attached to the sunroom?
flashing.jpg

I use the aluminum flashing .
L shape up the wall and out onto the joist.
Deck over it letting it extend out the same width as the deckboard, or jus a tad less ,so it wont catch water.
I only do the first 5.25" so water doesn't channel in between.
If you want you can double the flashing. It will corrode and rott over time in the bend and you will have a second layer there for only a few dollars more ;)

You might want to check the number of footings, beam spans and joist spans. I am rebuilding my sons deck and had to check this because the original owner undersized it bad. Yours design looks like it could do with some more footings. Disclaimer - I am not a processional builder but do get OCD charts when building anything heavy duty.

Block between the joist sealing off the sunroom joist bays from those of the deck entirely. Then flash on the top side just as if you are attaching to the house. It is a bit difficult to get all the blocking in tight but be patient. I would also spray foam from the sunroom side around all the blocking. This will keep creepy crawlies from finding there way into the sunroom floor system and tighten up you insulation envelope.

Back
Top Bottom