• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to get involved with competition shooting?

FF/ Trader

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
29   1
Reaction score
Morning to all, so I have always wanted to and now I have the ability to. I'm wanting to get started in competition shooting, I prefer rifle but I'm mainly looking to have a good time and improve my shooting skills. Problem is I don't know anyone into the sport and the internet isnt helping me much. So who better to turn to than my ODT family, any help into how to get started or how it works would be great.

Dirty J Dirty J does it i believe
I do indeed.

Competition is a great way to hone your skills and actually get better vs just standing on a square range shooting a ragged hole in paper.

If you're looking for strictly rifle caliber action matches, I'd look for a US Arms match. Hosted at various indoor ranges around the metro ATL area, with an outdoor match hosted monthly at the incredible CMP facility in Talladega.

If your good with pistol caliber carbines, most of the popular match types can accommodate you. USPSA, GADPA and IDPA all host indoor/outdoor matches where PCC's are welcome

Let me know if you have any other questions that can help get you started.

When you say 'competition' what type of sport are you thinking? There's a bunch of very different sports out there that involve shooting...

You have 'action pistol' sports like IDPA and USPSA where you run around shooting targets with a hand gun.

You have 'static' pistol (for lack of a better word) sports like Steel Challenge of GSSF where you shoot targets from a single position.

You have 'multigun' action sports like "3 Gun" where you run around and shoot targets with a rifle, pistol or shotgun.

You have the 'precision shooting' sports that are about shooting a rifle at targets a long ways off. I guess that could also cover sports like 'bullseye' pistol shooting and silhouette shooting, although those are kind of uncommon these days.

And of course there's the 'shotgun' sports like Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch more, since I don't get to do much competition myself, but these are all ones I've looked into.

You have 'action pistol' sports like IDPA and USPSA where you run around shooting targets with a hand gun.

Not just for hand guns anymore. The pistol caliber carbine division is one of the faster growing divisions in USPSA. Im sure IDPA will follow suite.

Find out what shooting ranges are located within a reasonable drive of where you live, and find out what shooting matches they already host regularly.
Among those choices that are easily available to you, pick one or two.
Research them, buy the right equipment, and start practicing!

I also prefer rifle shooting at distances of at least a few hundred yards.
I don't get much satisfaction of slinging pistol bullets into a target that is so close that I could throw a rock and hit it.
Shooting at target that is so far away that you have to get in your car or an electric golf cart and drive for minutes to patch your holes is more satisfying!

Back
Top Bottom