• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to help mental struggles?

Peanut Butter

Default rank <5000 posts
It is what it is
126   0
Reaction score
Today I heard from a buddy that’s a veteran with PTSD he told me that lately his mental health been a struggle. He has a therapy dog and medications to help but he said it’s recently been harder than normal. He’s leaving town to rehab in March but in the meantime I want to help him out as much as possible. I’m all ears, he knows that. But what are some things I can do to help him out in the meantime? If any? This is a very sensitive topic for many so please be mindful of others.

If you're not able to visit with him, maybe send an encouraging text every day. It could be as simple as "Hey man! Hope you have an awesome day." Or send him funny memes or encouraging bible verses. I think just keeping that contact every day or every other day makes people feel like someone cares. I've always thought small gestures are the ones that have the most impact. Praying for your friend.

I feel for you brother. Been there done that. It took me years to put the demons to rest. Stay in communication. Have him reach out to his buddies that have been through it. It does get better. I had nightmares for years, had trouble dealing with regular people, wanted to say screw it and check out. Love can get him through it but it usually tales someone who has been through the same thing to help the healing process.

Like others have said call text or visit would be best. You have also reached out to the ODT support network and if you and your buddy are game for it post up a good location and I’m sure someone here would be willing and able to drag him out for a beer/coffee.

Put him on here and let him know that nobody here cares what his real name is and he is welcome to find a shoulder. There is nothing that this community can’t accomplish and nothing that we aren’t willing to try. This group of misfits can come up with someone for just about every situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said call text or visit would be best. You have also reached out to the ODT support network and if you and your buddy are game for it post up a good location and I’m sure someone here would be willing and able to drag him out for a beer/coffee.

Put him on here and let him know that nobody here cares what his real name is and he is welcome to find a shoulder. There is nothing that this community can’t accomplish and nothing that we aren’t willing to try. This group of misfits can come up with someone for just about every situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had someone reach out to me about lunch with him. I’m going to invite him to ODT hopefully he joins and cuts down his free time.

I have had and still have friends and family who struggle with the same issues. Letting them know that you are there for them and willing to talk helps. One of my buddies was in-country - for almost 2-years with Special units in Afghanistan. He came back with PTSD, a Dog and therapy helped. He also started getting tattoos to help him relieve stress. Your buddy will need professional help. I will Pray for him.

Back
Top Bottom