• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to make 300 Black Out Brass

wwboater

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Pimp!
437   0
Reaction score
I am using 223 brass that I have plenty of. To reform the brass its pretty simple. First I tumble the brass to clean it up. Then I run the 223 brass through the 300 BLK resizing die without the deprime rod.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_186135be.jpg

Then I cut the brass to the length, which is 1.368. You can do this several ways. I was going to get the Dillon tool but that is about $200 plus another $50 for the rest of the parts. I did not want to use my hand crank brass trimmer so I went high tech. Northern Mini Cut Off Saw. Gotta be the best $25 I have spent lately.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_45b9bb61.jpg

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_72f19673.jpg

Then I run the brass through the 300 BLK die one more time. But this time I put the deprime rod back in so it sizes the neck. This cleans up the edges some. If you wish you can chamfer the edges at this time. Then into the tumbler to make them look pretty... and to further smooth the cut edges.

i664.photobucket.com_albums_vv7_wwboater_b6898317.jpg

So far the ammo has been turning out pretty good. I am using the Sierra Match King 220 gr bullet pushed by 10.5 gr of AA1680 with Rem 7.5 primers to light it off. I load them to 2.09 col. They shoot well and cycle the gun great.

I have loaded some 178 gr VMAX bullets for supersonic. They ran well. I will look tomorrow at the gun store for some lighter bullets to get the cost down. Maybe something like a 125 gr bullet.

Its gonna be a couple of week till I can shoot for groups.

that was pretty much the idea of the 300 blackout. use everything existing in an AR platform but make it to where you can have a 30 caliber bullet with a 200gr+ bullet weight for easy subsonic (that will still cycle the action without modification) and shoot lighter bullets supersonic for a bit better performance. Basic 30 caliber suppressor (SDN-6N from AAC recommended) and you have a really good all around package that works for plinking (cheap to reload) as well as easy to make subsonic, and easy on the wallet because everything else is standard AR15/223/556 parts. no new bolt carriers, full magazine capacity, and plenty of power.

I've got a 6.8SPC that I really like and for hunting and ballistically it's a great round but it's not cheap to shoot (brass is still $$$) and you have to have a new bolt carrier group and magazines to work in an AR. still a great caliber and a great option but I can see the 300AACblackout really taking off...

I've seen them make this brass at Gunn Ammo. They have a Dillon case trimmer/forming die that makes the brass, all in one step. Its neat to watch.

I think he said he got it at Northern Tool and Hardware (discount hardware store chain). might find one at Harbor Freight as well (they just opened one up near Perimeter Mall).

Back
Top Bottom