• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to Pass the Shooting Sport to a New Generation

NonStampCollector

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
42   0
Reaction score
Saw this article this afternoon and took much of it to heart. As a younger man (30s) who was previously not able to buy much of the things I wanted when I was in my 20s, this article has some important lessons. Its tone may be somewhat harsh, but I think he has a lot of good points about continuing the culture.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/how-you-can-save-the-cmp-sports-for-a-new-generation/

"The problem here is that the older generation is aging out of competition without replenishing the ranks. Sure, there are diehards who keep competing into their nineties, but they are about as rare as people under twenty-five in the sport these days.

I was one of the youngest people on the line at both the Springfield and Vintage matches at Camp Perry this year and I’m 29. These sports need new blood or they will die off with the passing of the Boomer generation. The guns will increase in value and the millennial generation will lose interest in them.

What I am trying to stress here is that the culture is in decline and you can help save it. If you’re a young shooter, pressure Grandpa to give you his M1 for Christmas. Shame your dad into selling you that Springfield if you must. These cultural treasures must not be lost to time and circumstance. I would go so far as to say that these rifles are a generational inheritance, not merely something to be bought and sold.

Our culture is under siege and it isn’t enough to simply keep and bear arms. The battle must be fought and won generationally and it needs to be fought here and now."

You have to teach YOUR kids the right way to handle and store firearms. The competition stuff will come later after they have been to a match and see what all the fuss is about. That's my $.01 worth of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom