• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to safely unload, load, and carry NAA minis'

These are great instructions for new NAA Mini owners, the pics are a nice added bonus too. Where were you and this tutorial 25 years ago when my Dad gave me my Mini for my birthday? Oh yeah, probably running around the house terrorizing your Mom & Dad and into everything you weren't supposed to be messing with. Lol!

Lmao! What about elbows, any elbows hit? Lol!
Hahahaha that's exactly what I was doing! How'd you know!? :becky: Probably on the exact day I decided to light a bunch of fireworks on my buddies new trampoline and jump :doh: that cost me about 250.00 anyone know how long it takes an 8 year old to save up 250.00??? For.ev.errrrrrr

I'm glad you used your ninja ammo:doh: (invisible) for this shot :laser: (punn intended).
GREAT information! :thumb:
Were any refrigerators shot in the making of this documentary? :)
Haha I recommend everyone load unload and familiarize themselves using @payneed patented Ninja ammo. He's running a special right now 1.00 a round! Very affordable

Hahahaha that's exactly what I was doing! How'd you know!? :becky: Probably on the exact day I decided to light a bunch of fireworks on my buddies new trampoline and jump :doh: that cost me about 250.00 anyone know how long it takes an 8 year old to save up 250.00??? For.ev.errrrrrr
How did I know? I raised two just like ya, ages 35 & 37 now though. Lol!
Mine were breakin' stuff all the time, right now I think Andy still owes me $14,356.82 but Dave, my youngest, his tab is about $36,648.98! Nah, I'm just kidding, they're just gonna have to take turns taking care of me when I'm really old and senile. Muwahahahaha!!! {insert sinister maniacal laugh here} Lol!

I typed this up in response to some concerns I've heard over the course of a few months in regards to the safe handling and carry of the NAA line of miniature revolvers.

Forgive me if some of my terminology is incorrect, but I've tried to type this up as legible as possible.

I've included pictures referencing the various positions I mention through out the tutorial.

These guns are small, they take dexterity and focus, all firearms safety rules apply as with all firearms.

Hoping this may help anyone new to the NAA line, or someone who has inherited/bought/traded into a mini that did not include the factory instruction manual.

PLEASE REMEMBER - Per North American Arms instructions, DO NOT use PMC brand ammunition.

------------------------------------------------

Inside every NAA mini purchased there is very detailed instructions on safe loading, unloading, and carry. Also each NAA has a warning not to use PMC ammo due to the brand demonstrating the potential of a slam fire type of scenario I personally have never witnessed.

This happens when the mini is loaded and the cylinder not properly rotated into a machined safety notch. I've included some pictures for any unfamiliar with this pistol.

To load you take the empty pistol as found NIB and pointed in a safe direction, with a safe back drop, good lighting, and nothing in front of the muzzle; and you pull the hammer roughly a 1/4 inch until you feel and audibly hear it lock into the half-cocked position.

Without flagging yourself or others depress the cylinder pin release button located on the end which will depress a ball detent and allow you to slide the pin forward.

Some minis are looser or tighter than others, but it's always better I've found to rotate the cylinder out of the right side of the frame, opposite of the cylinder stop pin. This will be done while in the half cocked position.

If your mini is stuck or stiff, I relieve tension on the hammer, in the half cocked position, bringing it back a wee bit further while no where near the trigger and nothing in front of muzzle. The cylinder will drop out from the frame.

Load proper ammunition.

Same safety rules apply when loading and good light is highly recommended. The safety notches, while well defined and machined, are inherently small due to the design.

Insure your mini is still in the half cocked postion. I like to do this while the cylinder is still out of the mini. With the empty frame I pull the hammer to full cocked, pull the trigger and walk it completely down to the firing position. Then I pull it back and re-engage half cocked. Just to be sure.

Take your loaded cylinder and rotate it back into the frame from right to left, and drop your cylinder stop notches into the cylinder stop pin. Hold the cylinder in place, without flagging yourself or others, as straight as possible within the frame.

Carefully re-insert your cylinder pin. It helps to depress the detent and pay attention to the half-moon shape as this is the orientation it needs to slide under the barrel. The detent will lock the pin in place with an audible click.

At this point you are at your most dangerous position.
Loaded cylinder, half cocked, with the cylinder indexed on a live round.

---In between every live round there is a safety notch Intended for the hammer to lock into when fully depressed so that the cylinder may not rotate left or right without being fully cocked. ---

In order to place the mini into a safe carry position, and it is safe, point the mini in a safe direction adhering to all standard firearms safety rules, and gently apply slight reward pressure to the hammer bringing it backwards. Do not go to full cocked. This is minimal reward pressure. This relieves tension even more and the cylinder will be able to be rotated with your other hand.

Look down in between the rear sights and you will see the rim of the live cartridge. With the hammer pulled and held slightly beyond half cocked as mentioned, use your left hand and rotate the cylinder slowly until you see a safety notch indexed in the window between the sights and the channel the hammer rides in.

While stabilizing the cylinder with the hand you used to rotate, Pull the trigger and hold it while slowly walking the hammer into the safety notch. It will pass half cocked and sit flush on the frame.

At this point, I'll give the cylinder a light nudge left and right and insure it is indeed locked into a safety notch. I will inspect that the hammer is flush on the frame and not in the half cocked position.

Place it in a sweet pocket holster and go do my thing.

I don't know anyone who carries these as a primary weapon. I'm sure some have, but for most of us it's a BUG, deep Concealment, utility varmiter, or just a fun plinker.

I've crawled through crawl-spaces on my belly, attics, woods, etc with a mini in my pocket for a long time and have never felt unsafe.

I am VERY diligent when loading, unloading, inspecting, and shooting on the range as most people perform multiple reloads during that time.

As with all guns, cars, dangerous hobbies we often do not have the luxury of ever making a mistake. It goes double for these little guys. Much like reloading and pyro people need to slow down and pay attention to what they're doing.

Hope this may help someone avoid the mistakes I've seen made with these little guys. They're a lot of fun, have multiple uses, are affordable, all American made, and when used properly they are safe.

View attachment 1440838
VERY NICE DETAILE REVIEW. GOOD JOB

Back
Top Bottom