• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to spot/stop straw purchases (or other violations)?

mugsy

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
I would like to hear the views of gun dealers, LEOs, and finally, concerned gun owners about the following:

I don't like Mayor Bloomberg's way of wanting to solve gun diversion and trafficking but I also think that if we simply ignore it then someone else (like MAIG) will come up with "solutions" we won't like - so what is it that you folks already do or could do in the future?

1. How do gun dealers spot and/or stop straw purchase attempts in order to keep gang-bangers, felons, etc. from getting their hands on weapons?

2. If you had your way what else, that you don't or can't currently, would you do?

3. Is there anything that legitimate gun owners and enthusiasts can do to help prevent or stop these problems?

I'd really like to hear my fellow ODTers' views.

Regards,

Mugsy

for one, if you get an uneasy feeling about someone then just keep an eye out. i mean all your doing at the counter is looking so why not take a moment and be aware of your surroundings. big key is seeing someone looking at 1 particular gun usually with a friend. they will both walk off and usually they will meet in an aisle and exchange money and the one looking at the gun will leave. Buddy will then come up and purchase the exact same gun. its really not hard to spot when your looking. i just reported a local gun store for allowing a straw purchase after informed them of what was going on. i wasnt going to take it any farther till they guy said "well i dont care who did what, as long as i get money i dont care". again the best thing you can do is be observant and if your in a big place like BPS or Academy, notify an employee. they will not let them purchase. when i worked for BPS I had to walk up and straight up tell people I saw what they did and they were not welcome to purchase firearms that day. Never take it up yourself with anyone, most stores have a system and procedures to combat this. Especially if your in a big store, usually your waiting to even see the guns, much less get help so just keep your eyes peeled.

guess im guilty of this lol went to alabama and found a hell of a deal on a pistol but you cant buy a pistol out of state so i had my dad buy it for me.but i dont see a diffrence between that or if he bought a pistol and gave it to me for christmass.i do however se how it could be a problem if it is done by someone who is not able to own a gun becuse of a conviction of some kind.

guess im guilty of this lol went to alabama and found a hell of a deal on a pistol but you cant buy a pistol out of state so i had my dad buy it for me.but i dont see a diffrence between that or if he bought a pistol and gave it to me for christmass.i do however se how it could be a problem if it is done by someone who is not able to own a gun becuse of a conviction of some kind.

See, that in my book is ok and understandable. the first 2 guns i owned, my dad bought for me. we never went after that but when you see to sketchy types secretly exchange money......different story. The simplest way for me to put it, if you get the "NO" feeling, then its probably not a legit purchase.

for one, if you get an uneasy feeling about someone then just keep an eye out. i mean all your doing at the counter is looking so why not take a moment and be aware of your surroundings. big key is seeing someone looking at 1 particular gun usually with a friend. they will both walk off and usually they will meet in an aisle and exchange money and the one looking at the gun will leave. Buddy will then come up and purchase the exact same gun. its really not hard to spot when your looking. i just reported a local gun store for allowing a straw purchase after informed them of what was going on. i wasnt going to take it any farther till they guy said "well i dont care who did what, as long as i get money i dont care". again the best thing you can do is be observant and if your in a big place like BPS or Academy, notify an employee. they will not let them purchase. when i worked for BPS I had to walk up and straight up tell people I saw what they did and they were not welcome to purchase firearms that day. Never take it up yourself with anyone, most stores have a system and procedures to combat this. Especially if your in a big store, usually your waiting to even see the guns, much less get help so just keep your eyes peeled.

Hey man can you spare a $100 I'm a little short. I've don this.

I see no problem with "gun diversion and trafficking." It shouldn't be against the law. There are just too many guns already out in the hands of the public for any control measure to work.

Howl,

OK, you see nothing wrong...so write your Congressman to get the law changed (or to pressure BATFE to change it's rules interpretations)- its your right.

However, until then it is a violation and if it isn't taken seriously then those who are concerned to keep unnecessary or ill-considered regulations from being created have at least a self-interest in making sure we don't "hand the keys to the car" to those who want to restrict gun ownership. Which brings me back to my original question...

BTW - I spoke to a couple of my local gun dealers and got the following responses:

- Watch for "shady", "shifty", or unusual behavior.
- Be wary of folks who walk-in in pairs and the non-buyer seems to be calling the shots
- I was told several times that "I reserve the right of refusal" if anything just looks or smells wrong - tough to quantify but it seems to be the sum total of their judgment, experience, knowing the locals, etc.

For those of customers who might see something funny going on - please tell the store owner, manager, or salesman. Ultimately, if they don't care you do have recourse to reporting it to ATF - that's your own concern level/gut-check call.

Last edited:
One should never forget that the onerous gun laws that we have were enacted because of the activities of a few bad guys, but infringe upon the rights of all others.
Allow the abuse of existing laws and find yourselves facing even tougher ones! If you want to be proactive in protecting your existing rights, insist that current laws be strictly enforced!

Here I go again, ignoring another good piece of advice given to me by my grandmother: "Son, don't give advice ... wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it ... don't give advice!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom