• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How would you de-cap live primers?

As a new reloader, I received an ass load of .223 that was primed but did not pass in a case gauge. I deprimed all of them with a slow stroke, no problem. I can thank google for the slow stroke advice and always wear eye protection. Everything went fine.

I have been depriming them dead or alive--the same way.

I just do not lean over the press.

It is just one single primer.
^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, just use hearing protection and safety glasses, I don't reuse, chuck em in bucket of water when done.

Eye protection check, ear protection check, butt cheeks clenched tightly together check, slow and steady leaned back away from the press. Got them done no detonations.

Just wanted them out, no intention of reusing them. Half the reason is the brass didn't pass the chamber gauge, the other half was I had no idea what they were and how long they had been in there. I don't prime till I'm ready to charge and seat the bullets.

Thanks, the youtube links helped put my mind at ease. Being new to reloading I really didn't know what to expect.

Just use a universal decapping die. It is well oversized, and will not contain pressure if one pops. Eyepro, of course.

If the case gauge is the main issue, just remove the depriming pin and re-size em. If case gauge and primers are the problem, just proceed as with spent cases.

Wear eye protection.

I have de-primed lots of hot primers over the last 40+ years. Never had one ignite.

Go slow and wear eye protection.

If the case gauge is the main issue, just remove the depriming pin and re-size em. If case gauge and primers are the problem, just proceed as with spent cases.

Wear eye protection.

I have de-primed lots of hot primers over the last 40+ years. Never had one ignite.

Go slow and wear eye protection.
I Agree ,I've never had an issue either.

Just use a universal decapping die. It is well oversized, and will not contain pressure if one pops. Eyepro, of course.

I did use the universal decapping die.

Thanks again for all the advice I got them done, no detonations. Eyes, ears, fingers, toes intact and anal sphincter a little stronger now.

I have been depriming them dead or alive--the same way.

I just do not lean over the press.

It is just one single primer.

Yep, I just put on glasses and go to town. I've only ever had one primer go off on me and that was while I was pressing it in.

Back
Top Bottom