• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How would you de-cap live primers?

When Dad was teaching me how to reload, like every other teenager, I thought I knew it all and got complacent. I was decapping and sizing what I remember to be an absolutely enormous pile of .45ACP brass. Anyhow, I was mindlessly picking them up from the bucket, lubing, seating, and throwing the rockchucker's arm - then - removing, and repeating. Well Dad was in the other room and I grabbed one, ran it through the press and at the top of the upstroke - CRACK-POW! - I literally peed myself a little and Dad came running into the laundry room where the reloading bench was. Everything was fine, my ears were ringing, but everything was fine. Somehow or the other a primed case had ended up in the wrong pile.

Glad you got them out, OP. All the others' advise is solid. Any petroleum-based spray or soak will neutralize them. Soak it overnight and gently deprime them and done. :thumb:

Live primers...2 cents each. Ironically...here are my 2 cents...don't be cheap. Toss the brass and don't deprime. If your that much of a cheapskate...recycle your brass for $1.00 a pound.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

small touch of WD40 inside the caseing will pretty much make it a deal primer...then slowly decap, done this well over 100 times without a single issue. Just make sure to wear safety glasses, never know when you might get a rogue agent trying to take an eye out.

Live primers...2 cents each. Ironically...here are my 2 cents...don't be cheap. Toss the brass and don't deprime. If your that much of a cheapskate...recycle your brass for $1.00 a pound.

Where are you buying them at? Before Obama, you could get them for that.

They are 4cent each around ere.

Where do you recycle your primed brass? Local junk yards won't even take cans of spent primers because of the risk there might be live one in the bunch.

I've punched out a live primers when I made mistakes. I'm not recommending it, people's tolerance for risk is different, but obviously I lived through the experience.

If I had a bunch of primed brass, I would give serious thought to making some squibe loads, and fireforming the brass. But that's another thread.

Was nervous at first, but I don't even think about it now.
Live or dead the primer punch pushes them out.
It's really the other side you don't want to whack, lol.

Back
Top Bottom