• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How would you de-cap live primers?

Was there a reason the OP didn't just remove the decapping stem from his sizing die and resize the cases and re-trim? I do that all the time. Or decap them as normal.

Yes there's a reason. It's a Lee die and the decapping pin is not removable. Also I didn't know what the primers where or how long they had been in there. These came from an estate sale, primed, and where given to me. I wanted rid of the primers.

They're all decapped, cleaned , resized , chamber gauge, and length checked now. Ready to prime and load.

That's what I'm saying could be removed. The STEM. I know the pin is part of the neck expander. When you seat bullets after, they'll be a tiny bit harder to seat, but it works. You can remove the entire stem when resizing the cases.

But, if you're unsure of the primers, you did the right thing. Pop them out and re-process.

For non-corrosive primers, I would put the empty primed cases in my gun and pop the primers with the firing pin, in my chamber.

For corrosive, although I've never encountered that situation, I think I would just carefully deprime them using the normal resizing and decapping die in my reloading press.

It's a primer, not a freaking hand grenade.

FYI. WD40 or oil will not disable a primer. Try it and/or look it up. They're sealed under the anvil. Just punch them out with some eye and ear protection. Throw 'em in the wood stove. hehehe

Back
Top Bottom