• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How young is too young to teach reloading

My son started "helping" at 4. He would pull the lever on the press with me adding a little extra pressure.
At 5 I started letting him pull the lever while depriming the cases. I still placed each she'll in place. He's watched me closely for years and just now at 8 do I let him take a more active part. I set everything up and sit right there and watch, but he does it all himself.

Slow slow slow. We check every case at every step. Wash well.

That's awesome!!! @davis211

My wife is all worked about what she is going to say at preK tomorrow.

Just have her take some to school for show and tell so they understand what she is talking about.
Funny.jpg

Since exposure to lead is a serious concern I'd not involve any kids until they are past the stage of habitually sticking their fingers and hands in their mouths.

Starting them early, helps them soak up every detail, before they get to old to listen, follow instructions, through each
step, and when they do it correctly, they smile brightly, excited, and proud of themselves of what you taught them, and that they did it right, besides it helps them have confidence of doing something they were taught by their dads, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, cousins. In other words a true family tradition.

Something all families need now more than ever. An activity that makes them think, repetition, and follow through. An association of sizes, order, and an end product.

just a suggestion...

I started my niece reloading at 4. She was intensely focused on doing it correctly. 45/70 was a good cartridge to start her with, big cases, low density powder, big bullets. She'd dump powder, weigh it and trickle until the balance beam lined up, seat the bullet and when she'd reach the end of the process she'd turn a much more critical eye to the finished product than I ever did. Now eight, she can't wait to come over and "make bullets". She's never made an error but I watch what she does. Can you tell she's got me wrapped around her little finger?

My girls have been helping since they were little bitty. They occasionally run my press with me watching now. What I really like is that they think loading primer tubes is fun. They argue over who gets to do them which is great because I hate it. They are 10 and 12. I got my first reloading kit for Christmas when I was 13 and my dad didn't reload. I learned from a book and a cousin and was never supervised.

Back
Top Bottom