• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Howa Mini Action

Two groups from a bipod and sand bag. I adjusted the scope for the second group. ELDM hornady.
20170923_133540.jpg

First group from the sst that I'm going to hunt with. I shot another group after this but the barrel heated up and started opening up real bad. I'm still cleaning every three shots. The last time I shot the barrel fouled so bad it took 2hrs to get it clean again. This is my third box of ammo, I hope it gets easier to clean, if not I'm going to try fire lapping the barrel (any other advice is encouraged and appreciated:D).
20170923_134932.jpg

I called the legacy repair center to ask about my fouling issue, they said it's a know problem and that i need to shoot at least 200 rounds thru it before the grooves will have the burrs removed. I told them I didn't want to spend $200 finishing their barrel for them and I wanted it fixed under warranty, they said they don't warranty the issue!

This will be the last howa I own. I'm pretty bummed, it seems like I got the only turd they've made. I'm going to order some bore polishing compound and try fire lapping. Guess I'm sticking with my .308 or. 338 federal this year.

Funny thing is my buddy ordered a savage axis at the same time, his bolt blew an extractor and got a case stuck in the chamber the same day I had trouble with mine. His is back at savage now. Manufactures cutting costs since gun sales are slumping?

^^^^Deal killer. My cheap CVA single shots shoot less than MOA without the mythical barrel break in. Oh well I guess it will be the Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM for me.

I called the legacy repair center to ask about my fouling issue, they said it's a know problem and that i need to shoot at least 200 rounds thru it before the grooves will have the burrs removed. I told them I didn't want to spend $200 finishing their barrel for them and I wanted it fixed under warranty, they said they don't warranty the issue!

This will be the last howa I own. I'm pretty bummed, it seems like I got the only turd they've made. I'm going to order some bore polishing compound and try fire lapping. Guess I'm sticking with my .308 or. 338 federal this year.

Funny thing is my buddy ordered a savage axis at the same time, his bolt blew an extractor and got a case stuck in the chamber the same day I had trouble with mine. His is back at savage now. Manufactures cutting costs since gun sales are slumping?

Burrs left by machining in a barrel are not a warranty issue.......it’s a common byproduct of the manufacturing process. It’s why so many of us have a barrel break-in process that we adhere to on new mass-produced rifles, or we handlap them before we fire the first rounds.

Match-grade or custom barrels are handlapped before they leave the factory.

It’s possible yours is excessive in the quantity/size of the burrs, I wouldn’t know without seeing it. I’d be happy to handlap it for you.

Burrs left by machining in a barrel are not a warranty issue.......it’s a common byproduct of the manufacturing process. It’s why so many of us have a barrel break-in process that we adhere to on new mass-produced rifles, or we handlap them before we fire the first rounds.

Match-grade or custom barrels are handlapped before they leave the factory.

It’s possible yours is excessive in the quantity/size of the burrs, I wouldn’t know without seeing it. I’d be happy to handlap it for you.

Thanks for the offer to help! This is the first time I've had an issue like this but I'd love to learn the hand lapping process for any future issues. I'll shoot you a pm shortly.

Mine shoots great up to 10 rounds, then goes into scatter gun mode(4-6" groups). I ordered the stuff for hand lapping and will report back after it's finished. I like the gun and hope I get it shooting right.

Back
Top Bottom