• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HRA M1 Garand - Quick and Dirty...

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
Took out my new to me HRA M1 this afternoon. Ran 2 Clips. 8 of them reloaded Talon M2 ball and the other HXP surplus.
I was at my Father in laws new place in the woods. We are trying to figure out a good shooting lane. So we improvised this one today at around 30 yards. I was shooting off hand rather quickly. I just wanted to see if this rifle would hit the black at all. It. Did.

The Topography: Downhill Shooting into a creek bed/valley
IMG_3153.JPG

First 8 shots with Talon M2 Ball.
IMG_3158.JPG

Second group after walking down the hill then back up for a pic.

IMG_3159.JPG

Lastly - The Rifle and Gear.

IMG_3160.JPG

Not bad. I am beginning to believe this M1 May have been counterbored. I am going to clean the barrel tonight and double check it. It SHOULD NOT hold groups or strings but it does. I totally dig it. I felt like I was in the Belgium woods for just a second...

Took out my new to me HRA M1 this afternoon. Ran 2 Clips. 8 of them reloaded Talon M2 ball and the other HXP surplus.
I was at my Father in laws new place in the woods. We are trying to figure out a good shooting lane. So we improvised this one today at around 30 yards. I was shooting off hand rather quickly. I just wanted to see if this rifle would hit the black at all. It. Did.

The Topography: Downhill Shooting into a creek bed/valleyView attachment 1129690

First 8 shots with Talon M2 Ball.
View attachment 1129693

Second group after walking down the hill then back up for a pic.

View attachment 1129696

Lastly - The Rifle and Gear.

View attachment 1129698

Not bad. I am beginning to believe this M1 May have been counterbored. I am going to clean the barrel tonight and double check it. It SHOULD NOT hold groups or strings but it does. I totally dig it. I felt like I was in the Belgium woods for just a second...

Gotta love them old timers. If only they could tell us their history.

Missed you guys today

Yep, I thought about the CMP almost all day. BUT I was out with my boy in the woods calling turkey. We didnt get anything but we found a great hunting spot on a hill that looks like a foxhole. We ended up covering half of it with pine and had a nice little shelter.

Yep, I thought about the CMP almost all day. BUT I was out with my boy in the woods calling turkey. We didnt get anything but we found a great hunting spot on a hill that looks like a foxhole. We ended up covering half of it with pine and had a nice little shelter.

Nothing better than spending time with your kids man! We'll catch you next time

Here are the pre bore clean pics..she is now soaking in Hoppes. I think SHE has been counterbored...what say you...

Look how the rifling ends abruptly before the end of the barrel. Its almost smooth.

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

Hard to tell in the photos but if rifling is missing @ muzzle then I would suspect counterbore to clean up erosion or damage.
Still a nice one, you can always have a Criterion put on her.

Back
Top Bottom