• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Humbling day at the range.

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I shot my 34 and my 19. I failed the LA swat qualifier. A friend passed it with a 2” 22 317. I also failed the Georgia law enforcement test. Today was quite humbling. Goes to show just shooting at plates and shooting groups does prepare you to shoot course of fire. The guns are capable. I feel I am capable of the accuracy needed for all of the courses. It’s getting my head in the game and following the directions and then following them and recovering and adjust if needed. I got twisted on several sections that involved steps and reloads and multiple targets. It seems simple now but during the coarse of fire I got couldn't get past the mental. I now know what I have to work toward.

Of course I came home and was thinking do I need to sell all of my guns and just buy a rape whistle? Should I get a 4" K frame since I carry my 642 a lot and just focus on really shooting them? Should I get a 26 and hang up the 642 and just shoot it and my 34? This is the reason my performance isn't where I want it to be. I always think there is a hardware solution to a software issue. I have not shot a fraction as much in the past two years as I did prior and I have done zero practice with reloads etc.

dry fire is cheap and you can do it at home. you need to practice on the gun mechanics until they are second nature. Reloading, moving target to target, driving the gun, reloading, getting your sights up quick and breaking the shot when the picture is "good enough" to get the round where you need it, reloading.

google some USPSA basic starter videos and dry fire options. Do it 30 minutes a day for a few weeks.

you need to get to the point where you're focusing on the shot and the shot alone because the rest of the stuff is on auto pilot. The only way you get there is with practice. Practice the stuff you suck at, that's not as fun as what you're good at but it's how you get improvement.

7ABA280C-F3A8-474E-89A2-E6ABD94AE9C4.jpeg
031611B4-A257-41F0-8E76-211C3EE8E318.jpeg

Humility is a hard lesson……. But you’ve conquered that so go do what you need to do to get where you want to be! Prayers up!

I shot my 34 and my 19. I failed the LA swat qualifier. A friend passed it with a 2” 22 317. I also failed the Georgia law enforcement test. Today was quite humbling. Goes to show just shooting at plates and shooting groups does prepare you to shoot course of fire. The guns are capable. I feel I am capable of the accuracy needed for all of the courses. It’s getting my head in the game and following the directions and then following them and recovering and adjust if needed. I got twisted on several sections that involved steps and reloads and multiple targets. It seems simple now but during the coarse of fire I got couldn't get past the mental. I now know what I have to work toward.

Of course I came home and was thinking do I need to sell all of my guns and just buy a rape whistle? Should I get a 4" K frame since I carry my 642 a lot and just focus on really shooting them? Should I get a 26 and hang up the 642 and just shoot it and my 34? This is the reason my performance isn't where I want it to be. I always think there is a hardware solution to a software issue. I have not shot a fraction as much in the past two years as I did prior and I have done zero practice with reloads etc.

The issue isn't hardware.

You need coaching from someone who actually knows what they are doing, and telling you to "stop jerking the trigger" isn't coaching.

I was just down your way in January. Shane Gosa is a local coach that I would recommend.

I was just down your way in January. Shane Gosa is a local coach that I would recommend.
Guess who cleaned the course with a 317?

No doubt the accuracy and shooting was the easy part. The mechanics are what ate my lunch. I hate to admit I never practice the other stuff. All of the stuff I can do for free and just require effort. I’ve got to spend some time in the yard just going through the motions.

I’d rather find out I suck at the range rather than on the street. Of course my needs with a handgun may differ from those of the law enforcement officers the courses ran were designed for. I now have a goal.

Yesterday was my first day shooting OWB or with a mag carrier.

Guess who cleaned the course with a 317?

No doubt the accuracy and shooting was the easy part. The mechanics are what ate my lunch. I hate to admit I never practice the other stuff. All of the stuff I can do for free and just require effort. I’ve got to spend some time in the yard just going through the motions.

I’d rather find out I suck at the range rather than on the street. Of course my needs with a handgun may differ from those of the law enforcement officers the courses ran were designed for. I now have a goal.

Yesterday was my first day shooting OWB or with a mag carrier.

Mussel Memory, Mussel Memory.... To do the crime You got to pay the time!

Been there done that, went from being able to clear a plate rack in 4.3 seconds to having a hard time hitting the dang things, age, changes many things.

Shooting is a perishable skill. Too many people I know, myself included, just assume their skills are still on point after long breaks in keeping skills sharp. It's like going to the gym. Take a couple months off and then try to bench your max you had when you were training regularly. Not gonna be the same experience. A lesson I have learned several times in my life with both exercise and shooting.

Back
Top Bottom