• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunter needing guidance

UptaCamp

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT,

I'll try to make this concise. I decided to learn/teach myself to deer hunt two years ago. I have done plenty of reading and theory study but haven't had any luck in the woods these past two seasons. Would anyone be willing to give me a little mentorship/help in learning this important skill? I want to learn this to be able to provide food for my family, not for trophies. Anyway ODT, you guys have been a great group of folks and I figured there's no one better to reach out to than y'all.

Disclosure: I have only been hunting on Forest Service land in North Georgia and I have never hunted private land. None of my family are into hunting/firearms and none of them own nice property suitable for hunting. I don't make a lot of money so it's tough to pay for a hunting lease.

So there you have it, just young guy needing a teacher who wants to pass this skill on. Yes, I'm a millennial, but I don't desire to live like most of them :becky:

Hey ODT,

I'll try to make this concise. I decided to learn/teach myself to deer hunt two years ago. I have done plenty of reading and theory study but haven't had any luck in the woods these past two seasons. Would anyone be willing to give me a little mentorship/help in learning this important skill? I want to learn this to be able to provide food for my family, not for trophies. Anyway ODT, you guys have been a great group of folks and I figured there's no one better to reach out to than y'all.

Disclosure: I have only been hunting on Forest Service land in North Georgia and I have never hunted private land. None of my family are into hunting/firearms and none of them own nice property suitable for hunting. I don't make a lot of money so it's tough to pay for a hunting lease.

So there you have it, just young guy needing a teacher who wants to pass this skill on. Yes, I'm a millennial, but I don't desire to live like most of them :becky:

Where are you in north ga buddy? How far from ranger/calhoun?

Hey Jake when the weather cools off il be glad to give you some pointers in the field.im not a super hunter as some are on this site.I have taken over 275 deer in 45 years of hunting.I have 13 nice trophies on the wall just from Georgia alone.ill pm my cell and you can text me some.We need more hunters to keep the art alive.

One of the keys to learning the skill of hunting is location! Just about anyone can kill a deer nowadays in ga, most neighborhoods have deer running through them. But in order for a good skill set to be learned, is to get out in a good size piece of property to hunt and gain skills.

Scout your feasible spots early season.
Stay away from service roads-meaning go further than other hunters will to avoid them spooking your deer and waving at you while they sit in a log 20 yards from your stand.(it happens.)
Find well established deer trails, poop, beds, scrapes and hunt there....bucks tend their scrapes all day so if you’re patient they will return to their scrapes usually every four hours depending on their area.
Try to keep the wind in your face.(its hard in N Ga.)
Don’t park close to your hunt spot so you can sneak in.
I usually hunt forest land but I walk in deep and do a lot of still hunting to my spot.
Camo and scent control is important but during the rut i’m sure you’ll find that bucks can let down their guard-other times they don’t.
If you can find daily activity of deer with cameras or in person then you know where to go.
The key is NOT letting them know you are there and that’s the hard part.
Sneak in there slowly-by yourself if possible to keep from hearing your buddies flapping their mouth about their psycho girl friend instead of looking for deer.
If you jump deer on the way in they usually come back within an hour /sometimes not....so stay quiet and don’t make sudden movement.
They are curious so if you hear a stick break get down low and get ready and wait for the deer to come to you-yes it probably a curious deer.
If you jump deer at the same spot twice they may not come around for the rest of your hunts so have several stands in several spots.
Set up climbers the night before on public land if need be.
Any clown can put up a feeder and wait for deer but is that hunting?
Yes it is putting meat on the table but that may or may not be your thing.
You
can get years of advice from other hunters but there’s nothing better than just getting out there and learning by trial and error.
One thing I learned is not to shoot a nice deer that is with a big herd because chances are they won’t be back any time soon after that.
Get the loners unless you just want one deer from that spot for the season.
Everything I just said can be contradicted by other hunters because no two hunts are the same.
I also like to keep logs of my hunts for reference on what worked and what didn’t.
Lighting, climate, wind, etc.

Dont shoot anything that walks on two legs unless it is a confirmed squatch...

And be warned of people posing as squatches in the woods...
2062292-a63291cb78ec313cd0aa5cdb79a57eb9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom