• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunter needing guidance

Hey ODT,

I'll try to make this concise. I decided to learn/teach myself to deer hunt two years ago. I have done plenty of reading and theory study but haven't had any luck in the woods these past two seasons. Would anyone be willing to give me a little mentorship/help in learning this important skill? I want to learn this to be able to provide food for my family, not for trophies. Anyway ODT, you guys have been a great group of folks and I figured there's no one better to reach out to than y'all.

Disclosure: I have only been hunting on Forest Service land in North Georgia and I have never hunted private land. None of my family are into hunting/firearms and none of them own nice property suitable for hunting. I don't make a lot of money so it's tough to pay for a hunting lease.

So there you have it, just young guy needing a teacher who wants to pass this skill on. Yes, I'm a millennial, but I don't desire to live like most of them :becky:

There's nothing worse than going hunting and finally having that perfect shot on a deer, that you either miss completely or make a poor shot and after countless hours of searching you come up with nothing but ticks.

Become proficient with firearm. Close enough isn't good enough. Aim small, miss small.
When hunting for meat, I shoot them in the head.

Don't deer hunt with a varmint rifle. A 30 caliber bullet propelled by most any configuration is a good choice.

If you aren't likely to see a deer over 100 yards, there is no need in getting proficient for longer shots, but you should be able to hit the bottom of a soda can at 100 yards, with your scoped rifle.

In other words, Don't set yourself up for failure.

Have you seen while hunting:
Yotes
Bobcat
Turkey
Fox squirrel
Raccoon
Possum
Flying squirrel
Hawk
Piliated woodpecker
Owl
Fox
Hogs
Hundreds of gray squirrels?

If not, you are not being still enough, or are not spending enough time in the woods.

This, plus, don't look for the whole deer. You'll see the whole deer, it's the ear flicker, the black outline of their tail or the horizontal line across their back. Look for any movement and pieces of deer.
I don't hear well, so my eyes are what I use mostly when hunting.
I seldom hunt in a stand. I usually stalk through the woods (private property) and see lots of deer, but I also stalk within 2o feet of squirrels without alarming them.

Get a leafy suit, head net/camo paint, gloves, and camo from head to toe.

Usually the reason most people don't see deer is because the deer saw them first.

If you do see a sasquatch there’s no reason to shoot it unless it’s trying to kill you but if it was trying to kill you and not just scare you out of its hunting spot you’ll never know it till it’s too late anyways.

The three main factors in success are, where they feed which changes over the season, based on what is available..Where they bed down and trails leading between both..During rut, bucks don't think about food, just Poontang..At that time look for does staging areas.

One of the most important aspects of deer hunting is learning to be a good woodsman.
Being self-taught is tough, it’s hard to be successful or to expect immediate success, especially on public land. Public land hunting yields a much lower success ratio than good private land. It seems that you have the patience and persistence, having endured two seasons and now heading into your third one. Keep at it, you’ll only learn more as you go.
Seeking some help is a good idea. Pairing up with an experienced hunter and learning from them will really make a difference for you.

Back
Top Bottom