• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

buttplate

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I have always used a portable strap that goes around the tree and slides up as I climb. I noticed that HSS has a 30' rope they call the Life Line. The web site states that you can leave it in the tree all season long. I have not called the folks at HSS but I wondered what kind of life that rope would have if it hung out in the weather all season long. How often would it need to be replaced if I brought it in at the end of the season? What kind of rope is it? Can I buy it in lengths longer than 30'?

My buddy made the one I use but I don't think it would like being out in the weather for months.

Does anyone have any suggestions for kind of rope to use?

I have one, and it's made from the same material, and it's the same thickness as the HSS strap. I feel fine leaving it out all season, but I'd pull it after the season. I'd just check the rope, and especially the area that is wrapped around the tree, but you should get several seasons use out of it. I highly recommend one. As far as length, I think it only comes in the one length.

I was hoping to be able to buy the rope and make it myself. I am ok with it not being reflective. I just want it to be safe. Like I said a buddy made my short strap but I believe it is larger than needed.

Does anyone have recommendations where and what type rope to get?

Kernmantle rope. As costly as it is, I'd keep on buying the HSS Lifelines unless you need a longer piece.
I'd opt to use it and get a new one each season. My life is worth more than $35/year to me.

The pre-fab setups also come with a locking beaner and prusik knot for each location. I bought the three pack from amazon for my lock on and climber spots. Can't beat em for the price.

Not a matter of my life being worth more or not. I enjoy making the things I use and often spend more than buying it prefab. I also checked and believe the longest one is 20'. If so that will work for dome locations and not for others. I have 3 Summits and 2 are left in specific locations.

Thanks for the info in the 3 pack. Where did you locate it at what price?

Thank you all

Back
Top Bottom