• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting and fishing during SHTF scenario

This is where a suppressed .22 comes in very handy in my opinion for MANY different purposes....

77-22 and Quiet.jpg

Vanilla, my old friend - couldn't agree more and rat traps from HD are great too. I have a how to on YouTube (big surprise lol) on the basic strangle/neck snare for medium up to deer sized game. But goin for game that big u would have to be able smoke or make jerky so the meat doesn't spoil. Here's a link
http://youtu.be/ZsFb6rQGpkE

That looks like a great snare and was a great video, thank you. A couple of questions:

1: Are the eyelets and swages (sp?) found near the braided wire?
2: What size wire is that?
3: How do you practice snaring without catching the neighbors' cats or killing anything you're not intending on eating?

Me and my boys have caught fish in the creek and cooked them over an open fire on sticks(with Tony C seasoning of course) But it takes alot of fishing and it is a "novelty" meal.(Not really enough to make a meal let along subside on day after day (Think of your nearby local stream). Same with squirrels-In the woods out back they are usually scarce.There's plenty around the house but like last year-after I took down 22 they took quite a while to regroup and return. Only because they eat out of birdfeeders.Who's gonna trade their precious beans ,bullets and band-aids for birdfood? I say practice the skills but you better stock can goods.

I like to add lemon or oranges to my pine needle tea.:D

Last year I got one squirrel kill and one frog with a slingshot!
i45.tinypic.com_2efkqbq.jpg

Last edited:
1/16" or (7x7) is about 100lb rated
1/8" is about 350lb rated
all components are together in same area and don't crimp the swage on the business end

A wooden or steel box painted black on the inside with oven racks and clear glass roof can reach 350* in a sunny spot and can be used to make meat strips into jerky. Good solar oven

My answer to the question of hunting for game in a survival or low foods situation is "Where"?
I have a son inlaw who is stockpiling guns and ammo and is what he claims a "prepper"..i asked if he was stockpiling foods?..he said "No,i will just hunt for food"
i asked .."Where?,You live in a rented apartment building,my advice was to purchase some land and then become a "prepper".
I mean unless a person plans(as he does)to just trespass and illegally be on anothers lands and illegally take game(at risk of his life)

I ask..where?Where do you plan to take this food/game daily from?

^^^^^ u got that right, takin game of my land is takin food from my kids and u won't be goin home that night... I'll use ur body as bait for coyote snares n eat the coyotes

That looks like a great snare and was a great video, thank you. A couple of questions:

1: Are the eyelets and swages (sp?) found near the braided wire?
2: What size wire is that?
3: How do you practice snaring without catching the neighbors' cats or killing anything you're not intending on eating?

its hard to practice, u have to just put 'em on game trails and check em daily, not much practicing unless u can go coyote or pig huntin on ur own private land and I ain't sure that legal. But I'll eat cats n dogs if SHTF I prob have already at the Chinese buffet. Lol

^^^^^ u got that right, takin game of my land is takin food from my kids and u won't be goin home that night... I'll use ur body as bait for coyote snares n eat the coyotes

Agreed..I just dont think people understand landowner rights,people have no right to tresspass or take/remove ANYTHING from lands they dont own.

Agreed..I just dont think people understand landowner rights,people have no right to tresspass or take/remove ANYTHING from lands they dont own.

Well said sir. I'm sure everyone would agree that the moves they have made to protect there families are worth defending. I'm not a bad man but if my kids are hungry and someone tries to steal their food it would box someone into a hard decision that will no doubt go in favor of their family

Back
Top Bottom