• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting ATV opinions

I would rather buy once and cry once and have and not need . Is there a big price difference between 2wd and 4wd when buying new or used ?
That’s pretty much what I did when I got that one. I have 4wd for when it’s really needed.
To be honest, I didn’t look at any ATV’s that were 2 wheel drive, so I can’t really offer any help determining that.

The 4 WD is nice if you get in certain situations. You can back up in an uphill situation with no issue. If you get it make sure it’s not full time 4wd They do not steer as easy and aren’t as fun to just ride. I also had an older recon and it was a good atv. Good luck

I've hauled deer out on a Rancher 350 ES several times with different ones I've owned and never had an issue, and I'm close to 400 lbs. I've got a Pioneer 1000 now that I absolutely love, but if I ever end up buying another 4 wheeler it will be an older model (late 90's/early 2000's) Rancher or Foreman if I can still find one in good shape. Those years of manufacture were pretty much bullet proof machines.........
I agree with this.
the early air cooled Honda Rancher ES 350’s are the Jeep Cherokee of the Honda rancher.
More squarish lines, smaller than the newer models, less computer controlled crap, less things to break, all around trail blazing bulletproof machines.
We have two of the older early 2000 model ranchers, bought them as a pair used and just performed regular maintenance on them.
2wd are fine but once you have the 4x4 you’ll never go back.
All it takes is a moderate rain and you’ll wish you had the 4x4 with reverse especially when hauling loads or a deer.
The 350 models are excellent lightweight work horses but if you’re pulling weight like in a trailer with lots of log rounds on a regular basis (farm use) you’ll definitely want to buy a much bigger machine but for dragging deer and decent loads the early rancher Es can’t be beat.
My brother in law bought a 420 ES thinking it was going to be a much better machine but we hated it from day one.
It’s much bigger than the older ranchers, way too many electronics and modules to go bad, water cooled with issues, fuel injected with issues, transmission shifting issues and seems to always have problems.
It has been a turd since day one .
My advice is make sure you run stabil fuel additive to your gas and don’t let your fuel get stale if possible.
Run your rancher at least once a month to keep the fuel fittings from gumming up.
Once the carb is toast and it won’t run for crap from sitting it’s usually the fittings coming from the fuel tank and or the carb needs replaced.
The carbs can be replaced with Chinese cheap carb for like $28.00 on Amazon.
Easy swap , I’ve done four of them so far and they fire right up with nothing but a idle thumb wheel adjustment.

If you have the option of buying one with a Honda motor go that route. I have worked on damn near every engine there is and with minimum preventative maintanence they will last forever. Start easy, run quiet and are smooth. Just keep oil clean, an air filter spare, plugs every couple years. just plan before each hot season to change oil, check sir filter, and just keep a set of plugs handy. No need to change them . Those engines run so clean they barely ever foul a plug.

Back
Top Bottom