• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting ATV opinions

So no one really feels a 2wd is a disadvantage if all you do is hunt with it ?
I've hauled deer out on a Rancher 350 ES several times with different ones I've owned and never had an issue, and I'm close to 400 lbs. I've got a Pioneer 1000 now that I absolutely love, but if I ever end up buying another 4 wheeler it will be an older model (late 90's/early 2000's) Rancher or Foreman if I can still find one in good shape. Those years of manufacture were pretty much bullet proof machines.........

4x4 is nice, but not a necessity by any means. My Honda Foreman rarely sees the front axle engaged unless I'm trying to drag a heavy box stand, or my son in laws talked me into getting in the mud with them. As far as deer season goes, a good running 2wd will serve you well, especially if you have a deer sled, or a lightweight trailer.

Another vote for the older Honda’s. I have a ‘99 250 2 wd and a rancher ‘06 350 ES 2wd. They have served me well on our 3000 acre lease. I just got a sweet deal on a 2020 ranger and may be selling one of the Honda’s.

If your club has a good road system, you’ll rarely used 4wd. I’ve never used 4wd on mine except for one time it was used to bring a rather heavy 8pt back up a really steep ridge at my cousin’s place.

The road system is great. The only time the 4 wheelers seem to come out is when it has been raining alot and around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays when relatives come in and hunt and we have to track deer that have been gut shot.

I would rather buy once and cry once and have and not need . Is there a big price difference between 2wd and 4wd when buying new or used ?

If you want to buy once, buy Honda. My 06 foreman has been absolutely dependable, and has been worked hard, played hard, and (knock on wood) never left me walking. While I could absolutely get by with 2wd for huntingseason, the front axle is definitely nice on the occasions it's needed.
Just my 2 cents....

Back
Top Bottom