• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting/Fishing Cabin Build

Next, the walls. We wanted to have a lot of window space because we have such a great view. We went with 3, 6x6 windows and 2 - 2x3 for the kitchen area. I remember how awesome it was to stand up that first wall... it really took on a whole nother dimension now that it wa 16' high instead of 8'. We had to stand up all the walls from the floor of the cabin so we had to build them in strategic places.

Given that it was a lot easier to work from the floor than the outside of the cabin, we decided to put wall sheathing on before standing the wall up.
P3201693.JPG
P3201716.JPG
P3201719.JPG
P3201728.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG

Attachments

• P4241770.JPG
    P4241770.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 64
The selfie while carrying through the creek is awesome. My dad would have yelled at me and slapped the phone out of my hand as soon as he got the chance...

Very, very cool so far. Love it man, looks great!

Lets build da roof! We went with a 12/12 pitch. In English, this means steep as hell! Total height from the peak to the ground = 22'.... you couldn't fit a greased nail up my a$$ while I was up there!

This was another one of those unforgettable moments when you really got a feel of how big this was gonna be. After looking at this box for a couple of years, it was really starting to take shape.

IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG
P3192819.JPG
P3192846.JPG

hats next?? O yea, stair stringers and more roof work. Those couple of years there was a lot of flooding. We figured we would only build the stair stringers part of the way down and then have the last 3-4' concrete just in case it sat in water for a long period of time.

We went with metal roofing (later) so we needed to lay down the wood strips and put a vapor barrier down. We built a temporary chicken ladder to help with the steep roof..... priceless.

We also wanted to have it look like a cabin so we went with cypress posts to hold up the porch. (Separate story) I found this 80' cypress pole in a swamp a million miles from nowhere. It looked perfect for this application so I cut it down..... with nothing but a bow saw..... then i cut it into 10' lengths and hauled it outta there.... what a chore but it looks great on the cabin now!
P4241754.JPG
PB053319.JPG
P5053499.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
P3313414.JPG
P3313430.JPG

Back
Top Bottom