• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting for the first time this weekend, help!

What happened to the guy after he got the disease?
He turned into a Wookalar!
IMG_4026.JPG

I actually watched that video already guys, thanks. I swear we watched every hog hunting video on YouTube. We have plenty of bug spray. I hope we don't find out the hard way what a chigger is. As for camo, neither of us own any.

All I know is that we will be in a stand about 100 yards from the feeder. As for the wind, I have no idea. There's wind in Georgia? lol.

I'm trading the AK for a .308 hunting rifle with a nice scope this evening, which will make me feel a lot better about my son taking a decent shot.

Chiggers? A little late in the summer for them, but if you try hard enough, you can find some.

As mentioned, hunting isn't about killing. It is about sharing the outdoors with your son and nature. Some of my most successful hunts ended without a single shot fired.

Being in a stand and having a hawk land feet from your nose and eyeballing you is something you never experience in the city.

Watching 2 bucks engage in mortal combat for the opportunity to breed that little doe over there. Seeing a bobcat take down a squirrel, or a fox following a scent trail.

There is a whole world of things happening that we have no control over, and it is going on day and night, just like it always has.

Enjoy the hunt!

I actually watched that video already guys, thanks. I swear we watched every hog hunting video on YouTube. We have plenty of bug spray. I hope we don't find out the hard way what a chigger is. As for camo, neither of us own any.

All I know is that we will be in a stand about 100 yards from the feeder. As for the wind, I have no idea. There's wind in Georgia? lol.

I'm trading the AK for a .308 hunting rifle with a nice scope this evening, which will make me feel a lot better about my son taking a decent shot.

The chiggers were bad on my land this summer!! Deet was not doing the trick and I remembered an old method that I had used a long time ago to prevent chigger bites. Using powdered sulfur around all of the openings of your clothes is a great way to keep the chiggers away. You can get powdered sulfur at a pharmacy or garden supply store and you put some in an old sock and pat it on your skin. Deet was not working at all,but a combo of powdered sulfur on the skin and deet on the clothes did the trick. The downside is, it smells like sulfur. I have used it successfully while coyote hunting but haven't tried using it while hog hunting.
But the most important thing is have fun and make memories with your son. Hunting has improved 100 fold since I have been able to start bringing my sons!

An AK works well for hogs. I took out two on the run with mine.

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY, that's the most important thing. Next would be proficient marksmanship. Then it's a waiting game.
Shoot the little pigs, they eat way better.

I told him I wanted to nail a piglet because I bet it was tender. He didn't believe me. Now I get to say I told you so. What the hell am I gonna do with 200 pounds of pork anyway.

I told him I wanted to nail a piglet because I bet it was tender. He didn't believe me. Now I get to say I told you so. What the hell am I gonna do with 200 pounds of pork anyway.

If it's a 100+ lb boar hog, you would be better off leaving it in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom