• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting gps suggestions

I have an old DeLorme PN-40 and it does a good job. I don't use it as much since the smart-phones came out with such good mapping and apps. Of all the ones I use I like the details and features of the Trimble Outdoors MapMaker Pro, and that's what I use if I have a signal. Backpacker Mag website has a free version.
Some areas I hunt I still have to use the traditional GPS. I had purchased the DeLorme due to the accuracy and the great selection of topo and satellite maps that you could install and pick and choose which to use when.

Do it the old fashion way. Lay of the land, go to blow down, take left, walk 95 steps till you get to the giant oak, veer right, go another 200 steps, cross the creek, up the hill to the big white oak. From that point follow the ridge another 250 yards. Climb the big poplar tree and over look the hollow full of white oaks.

Yeah, the old, "old fashioned way". About that, a couple of 4 or 5 years ago I was hunting on deep woods property that i knew well and only about a 1/3 of a mile off an old logging road. When I went in it was a beautiful bright afternoon, when I came down the tree to come out, by the time I got to the ground it had gone dark and a thick fog had rolled in. What should have taken me 10 minutes to get out took me the best part of 2 hours.

Now I never go in without at minimum a compass, even if I'm familiar with the terrain, but the GPS app I use most is "onXmaps HUNT" the the app is free, but for a small fee you can add property lines, landowners and contour lines.

Yeah, the old, "old fashioned way". About that, a couple of 4 or 5 years ago I was hunting on deep woods property that i knew well and only about a 1/3 of a mile off an old logging road. When I went in it was a beautiful bright afternoon, when I came down the tree to come out, by the time I got to the ground it had gone dark and a thick fog had rolled in. What should have taken me 10 minutes to get out took me the best part of 2 hours.

Now I never go in without at minimum a compass, even if I'm familiar with the terrain, but the GPS app I use most is "onXmaps HUNT" the the app is free, but for a small fee you can add property lines, landowners and contour lines.
Lol. Been there done that. I took the wrong lead off a mountain in the Cohutta wilderness after dark and finally made it to camp at 12:30am.

Buy you a $2 compass and learn how to use it. I`ve used one for decades. I`ve been with fiends whose GPS got them lost. Once, in Wyoming,a buddy insisted on going 180 degrees the wrong way. His GPS was wrong.

Try "Here we go" application. It's absolutely free, all maps, worldwide is free, updates are free and the REAL GPS software, means you don't need Internet connection for it to work, it's like you got a dedicated TomTom device, it's not to mention, it's the best car navigation product.

Back
Top Bottom