• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting on Company Land

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, I talked with our SVP and he is okay with me hunting some property we have assembled. The assemblage is about 375 acres and about 1/2 of it is wooded. We will likely break ground on construction some time next year, but only on about 1/3 of the property. It will likely only be me, my boys, and my father hunting, but of course, anyone in the company would be welcome. There are a few houses on the property, and we will likely use one that is farthest from any construction activity for the next couple of years as we are able.

I may take a drive down this weekend to walk the property and put up Posted signs as well as scout out where may be the best spots. I’ll at least get 1-2 good years of hunting if not 3-4.

The only thing I wonder about is who has been hunting the land the last several years. Most of it has been owned by investment companies. I’m sure I will ruffle some feathers when I come down and start putting up signs.

My boys are excited to go. Both of them have been talking about wanting to go for a while and they are getting to the age where they just might be able to sit still long enough for us not to scare anything off. At 9 and 12 years old though, I’ll keep my expectations low.

Maybe you'll be able to ask some local hunters about the land? They may have info on who regularly hunts there.

I suggest using a GPS map to scout all road access points, so you put signage in the most visible places.

The only thing I wonder about is who has been hunting the land the last several years. Most of it has been owned by investment companies. I’m sure I will ruffle some feathers when I come down and start putting up signs.
Won't bother the locals at all.

First, you're making a big assumption that they can read.

Secondly, unless you are living on the property, they will have you patterned after the first week.

When you walk the property, bet you will be surprised at how many stands you find.

Was involved in a zoning issue many years ago in Cherokee County, Honestly, locals showed up at a hearing and objecting to the rezoning because it would keep them from hunting the property.

Won't bother the locals at all.

First, you're making a big assumption that they can read.

Secondly, unless you are living on the property, they will have you patterned after the first week.

When you walk the property, bet you will be surprised at how many stands you find.

Was involved in a zoning issue many years ago in Cherokee County, Honestly, locals showed up at a hearing and objecting to the rezoning because it would keep them from hunting the property.
Heh, I don’t think people need to know how to read to be pissed about a developer coming in and buying up land. I’ve seen it before where a friend of mine used to have a hunting lease on the land that was bought up by a group for the Baxter Pharma site. In their eyes that land was “theirs” and the developer came in and started hunting it until construction started.

We have already found stands and it looks to be used quite a bit for off-road fun. I’ll plan on being polite and respectful as always, but when it comes down to it, we bought the land, so we will do what we wish with it.

Maybe you'll be able to ask some local hunters about the land? They may have info on who regularly hunts there.

I suggest using a GPS map to scout all road access points, so you put signage in the most visible places.
Yeah, I have a friend who lives nearby and is familiar with the property. We’ll likely chat some more.

I also have full surveys of the land with LiDAR topo at my disposal.

I would take a couple cans of spray paint (purple I think) and a lot of orange/pink flagging tape. Make sure to mark the entire boundry because it is going to come up sometime during the season. If you find movable tree stands, I would try and find the owners as "accidents" can happen out in the woods. Don't want extra hunters on a piece of property that don't know about each other.

Back
Top Bottom