• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting on Company Land

Guy hunting with us stopped someone riding ATV down the gated/poste driveway while he was hunting. Brother was there; but didn't get to driveway in time. Issue is we hunt the driveway as it's 1/2 mile long with big curves. Guy riding ATV came into the direct hunting line of fire of the guy. I think they made the point then. We've had poachers in the past; just never have caught them in the act. Deer skulls with 22 holes in their forehead didn't run there to die. Be careful and vigentant out in the woods.

Went down to the property a couple weeks ago to scout. Found a platform stand that hasn’t been hunted in a long time, but was able to
Clean all the briars and vines off. Did stop and talk to one of the folks we bought property from as they have a couple months left before they have to be out. Good people and he watches the property for us. He said he runs the hunters off and calls the warden on the spot lighters. Going to head down there this weekend and take the boys.

So, I talked with our SVP and he is okay with me hunting some property we have assembled. The assemblage is about 375 acres and about 1/2 of it is wooded. We will likely break ground on construction some time next year, but only on about 1/3 of the property. It will likely only be me, my boys, and my father hunting, but of course, anyone in the company would be welcome. There are a few houses on the property, and we will likely use one that is farthest from any construction activity for the next couple of years as we are able.

I may take a drive down this weekend to walk the property and put up Posted signs as well as scout out where may be the best spots. I’ll at least get 1-2 good years of hunting if not 3-4.

The only thing I wonder about is who has been hunting the land the last several years. Most of it has been owned by investment companies. I’m sure I will ruffle some feathers when I come down and start putting up signs.

My boys are excited to go. Both of them have been talking about wanting to go for a while and they are getting to the age where they just might be able to sit still long enough for us not to scare anything off. At 9 and 12 years old though, I’ll keep my expectations low.
Sounds good

Purple spray paint, orange flagging tape, written permission slips, nailing posted signs to trees. Is all this really necessary? Just take your kids hunting and enjoy the time with them. If one of the neighbors kills a deer tell them good job and shake their hand. It’s just a damn deer dude! This is Georgia, with an estimated 1.25 MILLION white tails. Plenty to go around for everyone! Let them kids pull the trigger and whack everyone they see. I promise you can’t kill them all.
In the words of John Dutton, "This is America. We don't share land." It's absolutely not ok for the neighbors to hunt land that's not theirs.

I was a mover thirty years ago and had a shipper in Minnesota that had 12 to 14 beautiful mounts. Did a lot of delicate packing for them. Asked him how he got them. He told me he had gotten a divorce and didn't have kids so his boss offered him a job supervising and installing cable TV in Alaska on tribal land. He was all for it. However their contract called for them to lease land for a mile on each side of where the cable went. It also stated that they could only use the land for grazing, planting or hunting. Said he had a ball for 6 years.

19CF4377-FA37-4ED9-AB35-1EAF51C24B4E.jpeg
CFC50B94-E140-4941-868A-D82AA8739B5B.jpeg
694E3BA5-927B-4AC3-B76B-8E66B0C7D1EB.jpeg
FE6C640C-5989-4EEE-BCCC-1CD3A42AAC00.jpeg
4940DE3C-F502-439F-B0A3-3CBE9E36C6B3.jpeg

All in all, it was a good time with the boys, even if we did run all the deer off with wiggles and loud whispers. For their first time out it was to be expected.

“Hunting Camp” was not quite the right experience, but it was what it was…
72C3D6A9-1495-4219-92DA-EF122FCB0AC7.jpeg

We did walk in this morning to find a truck parked sideways in the easement that all I can figure was being hunted from since it was raining. Dunno who they were but they left immediately after they saw us.

Talked to several of the neighbors and everyone seems happy with their sale. They have also been spreading the word that trespassing will be enforced now. I’ll be putting up gates soon and closing the road, as well as working with the utility company to gate off any access points now that the core drilling rigs are finished.

Back
Top Bottom