• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting on Company Land

So, I talked with our SVP and he is okay with me hunting some property we have assembled. The assemblage is about 375 acres and about 1/2 of it is wooded. We will likely break ground on construction some time next year, but only on about 1/3 of the property. It will likely only be me, my boys, and my father hunting, but of course, anyone in the company would be welcome. There are a few houses on the property, and we will likely use one that is farthest from any construction activity for the next couple of years as we are able.

I may take a drive down this weekend to walk the property and put up Posted signs as well as scout out where may be the best spots. I’ll at least get 1-2 good years of hunting if not 3-4.

The only thing I wonder about is who has been hunting the land the last several years. Most of it has been owned by investment companies. I’m sure I will ruffle some feathers when I come down and start putting up signs.

My boys are excited to go. Both of them have been talking about wanting to go for a while and they are getting to the age where they just might be able to sit still long enough for us not to scare anything off. At 9 and 12 years old though, I’ll keep my expectations low.
Congrats, sounds good. You and your boys will make some nice memories there

Purple spray paint, orange flagging tape, written permission slips, nailing posted signs to trees. Is all this really necessary? Just take your kids hunting and enjoy the time with them. If one of the neighbors kills a deer tell them good job and shake their hand. It’s just a damn deer dude! This is Georgia, with an estimated 1.25 MILLION white tails. Plenty to go around for everyone! Let them kids pull the trigger and whack everyone they see. I promise you can’t kill them all.
Written permission IS necessary...

I would not want to be there with my kids and have no idea who is there.i would not want to be there myself.
This! I’d make it a must to have every responsible adult there police the place every time you are out there. Gates, Paint and posted signs mean very little to folks nowadays. Ask me how I know.

A few cell cameras in bear boxes that are well concealed and aimed at your points of entry would be a good idea too.

I'll echo this.. I received a warning and even got to sit in handcuffs for a little bit over not having a piece of paper stating I had permission. Land owner is someone I have known my whole life, and just gave me verbal permission. When the game Warden called him the game Warden told him I would need to get a written letter of permission. He went as far as telling me he would cite or arrest me and confiscate my stuff if I was there without the letter.
Sorry to hear that. I have a lot of properties I let people hunt and I don't usually give them a letter. I guess I should start.

I have been “kicked off” land that I had permission to hunt and they have been poaching for years. Well, they tried to kick me off. One guy was with his 10 year old son. I asked him to step away from his son and I tried to speak softly so the son could not hear. The dad finally got the message when I pulled out my permission letter from the landowner and the cell phone number for the local DNR agent and told the trespasser we can let the law decide whom had permission. They left.

I have been “kicked off” land that I had permission to hunt and they have been poaching for years. Well, they tried to kick me off. One guy was with his 10 year old son. I asked him to step away from his son and I tried to speak softly so the son could not hear. The dad finally got the message when I pulled out my permission letter from the landowner and the cell phone number for the local DNR agent and told the trespasser we can let the law decide whom had permission. They left.

Saddest part of that is his poor kid is growing up thinking that it’s ok to trespass on other people’s property. People like that and the illegal trash dumpers make it harder for ethical people to get permission to hunt private land

Back
Top Bottom