• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting property line legal question

I have great neighbors, they could care less whether I shot a deer on their property or not. Most all my stands are on the property/fence line, facing inward to my property. My neighbors have cattle.

See what the county law says . The property I hunt borders land that was owned by the paper company. there is a fire break between the property. My friend who has owned the property confronted one of the leases's on his land and the hunter threatened to have him arrested on his own land. They had built 3 wooden tree stands in his trees overlooking the land they leased. The lease holder later left him a note saying he was trespassing and threatening him. He contacted the timber company and the paper company instantly revoked the lease. The next year the lease did not include the section of property that adjoined my friends property. The paper company has now sold the land to developers. The paper company is a good neighbor. Leaseholders are a mixed bag. I found the assortment of trash in the woods and a sleeping hunter on my friends property during the time it was leased to hunters. I never understood why they leased all of this land to hunt right at the edge along the neighbors.
I don't assume because everyone hunts they are decent. Hunt public land and watch the amount of beer cans you find in the woods.
I think I was lucky. We had plenty of land to hunt, family owned and friends and neighbors. We were taught to hunt ethically, be courteous and mindful of others, pick up our cases/hulls, find any animal not killed cleanly and dispatch it, eat everything we killed, never killed on Sunday, etc. After going on WMA hunt in SC and listening to other hunters talk I assume that a deer hunter is a complete and utter douche bag until I observe otherwise.

I don't recall seeing any law that says you can't hunt near a property border, but, as others have pointed out, each county or city CAN regulate the discharge of firearms, including for hunting purposes, and therefore some local ordinance might cover that topic.

If you want to read the state law, O.C.G.A. title 27 (Game & Fish), here are links.

39 general provisions here: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-27/chapter-1/

34 laws about permits and licenses: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-27/chapter-2/

80 more laws here on a variety of hunting and trapping topics: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-27/chapter-2/

A bunch of laws here, but they're all about fishing: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-27/chapter-4/

A ton of laws and regulations on keeping or transporting "wild animals" here: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-27/chapter-5/

There, that's a few hours worth of reading! WHo knows what might be among those several hundred restrictions on hunting? Dig into the material and see.

Municode says that Heard County, GA has some laws about shooting, including a ban on firing a gun 50 yards from a property line without permission of the owner of that other parcel of land.

Sec. 28-23. - Discharge of firearms.

(a)

Occupied dwelling. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearms within 150 yards, or discharge any rifle or shotgun utilizing a slug load within 300 yards, of an occupied dwelling without the permission of the owner of such dwelling.

(b)

Prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person in the county to discharge or shoot any gun, airgun, BB gun, pistol, rifle or shotgun utilizing a slug load or other firearms that project lead or any other missile as follows:

(1)

Into a dwelling, house, railroad train, boat, aircraft, motor vehicle, or any building or structure used for assembling of people;

(2)

At a mark, at any inanimate object, or at random, on, along or across a public highway;

(3)

At or from any motor vehicle, at any person, at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure; or

(4)

Within 50 yards of a property line or across a property line without the permission of the owner of the adjoining property.

(c)

Exceptions. This section shall not apply to or affect any of the following:

(1)

All federal, military, state, county, and municipal law enforcement peace officers possessing the duty and power of arrest whether such officers are within or outside their jurisdictions or on or off duty, or any person summoned by such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer, or any other person otherwise authorized by state statute;

(2)

Any person lawfully exercising the destruction of dangerous or nuisance wildlife abatement by persons properly permitted by the state department of natural resources, or in the lawful exercise of trapping by properly licensed trappers;

(3)

In connection with the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical purposes or for signal purposes in athletic or sporting events, military exercise, funerals, reviews, or memorial events;

(4)

Any resident when lawfully defending person or property; or

(5)

Any resident or legal entity engaged in the lawful use or legal nonconforming use under any zoning ordinance at any private or commercial sport shooting range. For the purposes of this section, the term "sport shooting range" means an area designed and operated for the use and discharge of guns, airguns, BB guns, pistols, or other firearms, which project lead or any other missile. All shooting ranges must be inspected and approved by the county sheriff and shall only be used from 10:00 a.m. until one-half hour before sundown.

Link:

https://library.municode.com/ga/heard_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH28OFMIPR

I used to hang my stand near the club/WMA line. One day a game warden came slipping through the brush(no orange on), and stopped about 50 yards down from me, trying to hide behind a bush, as he got his binoculars out. He was quite shocked when he spied on me, as he saw me watching him with my binoculars. He left hastily.:shocked:

Awww snap!
GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet

You da man.
Thanks again!

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom