• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting property line legal question

Looks like it is 50 yards. I guarantee you should take a picture and contact the property owner to get the best results. Last year I found a guy on my property . Sitting on the far corner where 3 pieces of property meet. He set up bow hunting and was using corn for bait. He also shot a deer with his carry pistol 3 times. The game warden loved him tenderly. He rents a house down the road that sits on less than an acre so he just walked into the woods and decided to hunt. Between him and the poaching pastor of the church across the street from my house I have had enough idiots in the woods. I caught the pastor in my yard with a deer he shot in my yard. He seemed to think it was okay. He trespassed and even trespassed with his kids.

Looks like it is 50 yards. I guarantee you should take a picture and contact the property owner to get the best results. Last year I found a guy on my property . Sitting on the far corner where 3 pieces of property meet. He set up bow hunting and was using corn for bait. He also shot a deer with his carry pistol 3 times. The game warden loved him tenderly. He rents a house down the road that sits on less than an acre so he just walked into the woods and decided to hunt. Between him and the poaching pastor of the church across the street from my house I have had enough idiots in the woods. I caught the pastor in my yard with a deer he shot in my yard. He seemed to think it was okay. He trespassed and even trespassed with his kids.

I hate thieves, trespassers, and poachers (pretty much all the same). One thing to remember, if they are poachers, they have no trouble firelighting game.

I used to chase the scum while on horseback when I managed a large farm. Was a PITA keeping the fences repaired when deer season was in, the trash would always cut my fences so they could poach more easily. .

Yep. It's their property. They can have a parade on their property line while you're out hunting.

But if you want to push the issue, just tell them if they shoot a deer, and it goes on your property they can't retrieve it. Although I'd recommend taking over a bottle of Bourbon and making friends.

I'm having to deal with trespassers right now that graduated to stealing my ****. And all they had to do was ask to come on over... But people are just stupid sometimes.

laws allow to retreive wounded animals wherever they may go is my understanding

Is their a law/ statute that determines close to the property line you're allowed to put up a tree stand?
I hunt private property that borders timber co. Leased property.
Our neighbors on the timber land have a stand 30-50 feet from the line.
We're in Heard Co. GA if that helps.
My buddy (the private landowner) thought there might be a minimum distance requirement.
The other guys stand is facing away into their property.
Thanks ODT in advance.
It's their property and/or they have a right to be there, why would anyone want to object how they use their own property?

Retrieve is different than standing on my property and shooting the animal. I am aware of the distinction. The poacher I caught last year had no permission to hunt even from his landlord . I called the landlord and asked him. When there are 3 people standing next to trees on my property and no dead deer yet they are not retrieving. They are poaching. That would be Pastor David e. Couch and his 2 children on Thanksgiving one year. He even bragged to me about pouching on other property around the county. If he shot a deer on his property and chased it across the road to my property it would be different than the only shot fired being about 60 yards from my house.

Retrieve is different than standing on my property and shooting the animal. I am aware of the distinction. The poacher I caught last year had no permission to hunt even from his landlord . I called the landlord and asked him. When there are 3 people standing next to trees on my property and no dead deer yet they are not retrieving. They are poaching. That would be Pastor David e. Couch and his 2 children on Thanksgiving one year. He even bragged to me about pouching on other property around the county. If he shot a deer on his property and chased it across the road to my property it would be different than the only shot fired being about 60 yards from my house.
Did you call a game warden on him? I would. I would call the game warden and then e-mailed his church. I am a Christian, but I would make sure he no longer was a pastor. He has no business being in church leadership.

Uh no you can not. Not only could you be charged with trespassing, but if DNR is called, they could tack on hunting without permission.

Seriously think about it. If you're standing over a dead deer on a property where you don't have permission to be, how are you going to prove where you shot the deer???

Edited to add the law just so no one thinks this is a good idea. http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-27/chapter-3/article-1/part-1/27-3-1

O.C.G.A. 27-3-1 (2010)
27-3-1. Requirement of permission to hunt on lands of another; written permission; enforcement; immunity of landowner from civil liability

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt upon the lands of another or enter upon the lands of another in pursuit of wildlife, with or without a license, without first obtaining permission from the landowner or lessee of such land or the lessee of the game rights of such land. Such permission shall not be required, however, if the person hunting or a member of the person's family is the owner of the land, the lessee of the land, or the lessee of the game rights of the land. For the purposes of this Code section only, "family" means mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, niece, nephew, grandson, granddaughter, grandmother, grandfather, or spouse.

Did you call a game warden on him? I would. I would call the game warden and then e-mailed his church. I am a Christian, but I would make sure he no longer was a pastor. He has no business being in church leadership.

I called the game warden and he never showed up . He is the pastor of the church and his name is on the sign. I never figured the church cared

Back
Top Bottom